Problems port forwarding on Linksys WRT54G (v3)

Hello all, this seems like the appropriate place to ask this, so I hope you can help. For some P2P features in an online game, I am required to forward port

So I enter the range 2350 to 2350, set it to both TCP and UDP (as required), enter the correct IP address, enable it, and save the settings.

However, it doesn't appear to work. The port test located at

formatting link
indicates this port is still stealth, and the P2P features in the game do not work.

I've heard horror stories about v5 of the WRT54G, but most everyone I spoke to had nothing but praise for the v3 model.

So, I did what anybody would do in this situation, I upgraded the firmware to the latest version. (v4.30.5, Apr. 27, 2006) Yet the problem still occurs.

Does anyone have a solution for this, or will I need to contact Linksys? This is the only problem I've had with this router and don't feel like shelling out MORE money for a replacement.......

Reply to
nathan.gibney
Loading thread data ...

On 8 Jul 2006 23:35:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

You need to forward to the correct address on your LAN. Give that computer a reserved DHCP address, or give it a manual IP address.

Reply to
John Navas

Does the target machine have a firewall on? Does it work if you put it in the DMZ for testing purposes? Are you sure you have the right IP (DHCP can change it even without rebooting)...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

How do I go about giving it a reserved DHCP address? I'm a beginner when it comes to this kind of thing.

William: Placing the computer in the DMZ doesn't work, the port is still stealth. There is no firewall installed on my computer, and Windows Firewall is disabled.

Reply to
nathan.gibney

Does that port show up as open if you have your computer directly connected (without the router)? Can you tell if that port really is open on that machine?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Well, with the WRT54G v3 using firmware 4.20.7, you don't.

formatting link
routers have a "reserved DHCP" or "static DHCP" or "nail the stupid IP address to the MAC address" feature. The stock firmware apparently doesn't have this feature. If you switch to alternative firmware such as DD-WRT, it has this feature (I think).

However, all is not lost. The idea is to keep the IP address of the game machine from changing. You can assign fixed static IP address ot the game machine. Make sure it's outside the DHCP address pool. Something like 192.168.1.11. Then, setup your port forwarding to that IP address and you'll be sure that it's not going off somewhere else.

Are you sure that the DMZ was pointing to the IP address of the game machine? Run: Start -> Run -> cmd IPCONFIG Does it show for an IP address what you configured for the DMZ?

Incidentally, the misnamed DMZ is generally a bad idea for security. It's like opening ALL the ports and pointing them to the game machine. Turn OFF the DMZ and keep going the way you started. It should work (if you don't have a firewall to mess things up).

Also, what game? There are specific setups for port forwarding at: |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:04:12 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Indeed -- it's pretty much the exact opposite of a real DMZ! [sigh]

Reply to
John Navas

Agreed, use the DMZ for testing only.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Both DD-WRT and Sveasoft Alchemy have this feature.

Reply to
emtech

I believe I have made SOME progress - I checked all my settings and re-forwarded the port... the port scan now indicates Closed instead of Stealth.

How can this be? Shouldn't it be open, considering I have no firewall software on my computer? (Even disabling the router's firewall doesn't open the port)

What do I have to do to get this port open? Thank you for all your help so far. Any ideas what to do now?

Reply to
nathan.gibney

On 10 Jul 2006 19:44:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

The port is only open if there's software actually listening on that port.

Reply to
John Navas

That's what I meant, it remains closed even though the game should be opening it.

Fortunately, that was an error on my part - I mistyped my physical IP address which the game requires. The problem appears to be solved now, so thank you for all your help.

Reply to
nathan.gibney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.