Problems connecting

I have just purchased a new windows vista Home Premium Laptop Toshiba A100 Equium. I have a BT VOYAGER 2100 router.....when connected to router with ethernet i can surf, but does not recognise any signal to my computer when wireless. I have put in the SSID and encryption but just does not show up in connections.

Does this mean the VOYAGER 2100 is not compatible with VISTA?

TIA

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Stacey
Loading thread data ...

"Kevin Stacey" hath wroth:

Nope. It should work. My guess(tm) is that you're using WEP encryption on your BT Voyeur 2100. There are compatibility issues concerning the use of an ASCII WEP key. If you're using WEP, try typing in the Hex key, instead of the ASCII key, on your Toshiblah laptop and see if that works.

However, that should be a temporary fix. WEP security is nearly useless. I suggest you switch to WPA or WPA2, which is far more secure (and doesn't have the WEP ASCII/Hex problem).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Have you configured the software that controls your laptop's wireless card to match the settings of the BT Voyager 2100?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Yes Doug I set up card to know the access point settings, but does not show up in available networks

Reply to
Kevin Stacey

Right now I'm using Ubuntu 7.04. I will logoff soon and go into Windows Vista and see what could possibly be wrong. In the meantime, your wireless router *should* be compatible with the wireless card that came with your Windows Vista computer. Is your wireless card an Intel 3945 a/b/g card? If it is, it *SHOULD* detect the signal emitting from the wireless router. Make sure your software firewall (if available) isn't interfering with the connection. That is often the culprit. Vista will ask if your wireless connection is for home, work or public use and will make modifications in an attempt to protect you based on the answer you give. By the way, please don't be insulted by this, but have you turned on the radio feature in your BT Voyager 2100 as well as on the laptop, if available?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cheers Doug thanks for your efforts..........apparently it was the channel number, apparently voyager defaults to channel 12, and most new cards only show up between channels 7-11 on Vista.........but it now works.............thanks kevin

Reply to
Kevin Stacey

you're welcome, Kevin. Sorry I wasn't able to offer you more assistance, but I am glad you figured it out. I've learned that it is always something simple. The hard part is finding out just how simple it is. (smile). Anyway, take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.