Problems after moving Wireless PCI card to different PCI slot

OS: Windows XP SP2 NIC: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card Router: Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router

I moved the Wireless PCI card to a different PCI slot (on the same PC) as I installed a WinTV card in its place. When I rebooted the machine the networking wasn't working so I had to reinstall drivers and reconfigure. But it won't work with WPA encryption enabled. When I disable all encryption it works fine (NIC receives data from router) but when I enable it and it gets its IP, the NIC stops receiving data from the router (e.g. 16 sent and 0 recieved in Connection Status screen).

I tried rebooting router, reinstalling NIC & drivers, resetting router, creating new passcodes, nothing. All the other wireless clients on the network work fine.

Any fix that saves me from formatting?

TIA

Reply to
SFF11
Loading thread data ...

Google winsockxpfix.exe. It might help with corrupted TCP/IP layered services.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

The setup is like this:

1. PCI-Express (GeForce 6600)
  2. PCI (Wireless NIC)
  3. PCI (WinTV)
  4. PCI (Sound Card)

No other PCI slots available. I have to put the NIC in 2. because the GeForce uses a plug from the PSU that would normally restrict any other PCI card next to it but the NIC is one of those thin ones that are half size.

Anyway, I formatted but it didn't help, once I enabled WPA encryption there would be no data recieved from the router and would only work with all encryption disabled.

So I've unplugged the WinTV card and went back to the old configuration and everything seems to work again including WPA encryption:

1. PCI-Express (GeForce 6600)
  2. PCI (Empty)
  3. PCI (Sound Card)
  4. PCI (Wireless NIC)

I find it very strange though and it's definitely a motherboard/PCI problem. I should get rid of the soundcard and use the one built into the motherboard but the quality of audio isn't good on expensive headphones :(

Thanks for the help though.

Reply to
sff11i

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.