Problem with Netgear WGR614v6 dropping internet connection

Hi,

I have recently sent up a wireless network at home and am experiencing problems staying connected to the internet. I have an acer travelmate laptop running Win2K connecting via a netgear WG111v2 Wireless USB Adapter to a netgear WGR614v6 router. My problem is that I can detect and connect to the wireless network no problem (signal very good), however as soon as I connect the wireless status light starts going mental - blinking like crazy - then, after about 3 or 4 minutes my internet connection gets dropped. I have tried connecting to the router via an ethernet cable, but the same thing happens (this time the LAN port status light blinks like crazy).

My boyfriend can connect to the wireless network with no problem (when I am not trying, if I am connected it drops his internet connection too). He can even successfully surf the internet using my netgear USB adapter; he is using a dell notebook running winXP. I don't think the USB adapter is at fault as I was able to connect to a different wireless network a few days ago and stay on for hours without problem. This also means my laptop does have the ability to connect to a wireless network. The internet connection/broadband modem also doesn't seem to be at fault as I can plug directly to the modem and surf the internet without problems.

I assume the netgear router doesn't like something about my laptop (or vice versa), can anyone suggest what this may be and any fixes?? My limited network knowledge means I've run out of places to look.

Thanks for your help.

Nicola

Reply to
nicoladtaylor
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.