Problem with NAT (Help!)

I meant APs, not IPs.

Reply to
alexd
Loading thread data ...

not multiples per se, not sure what dd-wrt does (i dont use it)... i have several wap's daisy chained (with different ssid's) off the main wap/router, and on each computer in the profiles when connected to a wap, use these settings instead of get an ip address automagically (i happen to use different ip addresses for different connections, some of the gaming, tivo, and p2p connections use the other ip addresses exclusivly, i just have PPinMD1 thru PPinMD4 ssids and connect to a specific ssid (( PP= Peter Pan and MD = Maryland)) when i want to use a specific ip address, by doing it that way, still lets me share devices on the network ((same subnet, other puters, print sharing etc)) but makes certain users(by ssid) use certain ip addresses) i just happened to have some old (cheap consumer wap/routers) in my junk box, so i gave it a shot, seems to work....

Reply to
Peter Pan

yeah - and his "horndog" email address is a nice touch also.... thinking maybe bigger stuff - with an internal 10mb link (sounds campus wide ethernet) and only 1 person at a time can download..... it would have to be a HUGE file - like maybe a "shared" HD movie :)

Reply to
ps56k

Had not thought along the lines of the DMZ and NAT 1:1

This whole scenario is based on the need for multiple external, WAN, IP addresses being mapped to the internal folks..... either explicit/static or dynamic -

The main users appear to be downloading "stuff" from a file sharing website that logs the IP address, and only allows a single user download per IP address.

SO - when using traditional NAT with a single dynamic WAN address the users are restricted to only one user at a time.... hence the need for multiple external addresses.

In summary - do any of the mainstream consumer off the shelf routers/WAPs like say the Linksys, Netgear, Dlink products offer NAT 1:1 as a selection vs just the DMZ mapping ?

Reply to
ps56k

Thank you again for all your help

Actually I have a 100mb connection that is burstable to 1 Gbps at my friend's data center. In the cabinet is a small router and one cablefrom it runs to the roof to an 11 GHz link that uses two Trango Apex bridges. My friend has given me public IP's to use but all I have are internal addresses from my router and I need a router that will allow me to assign the ethernet port so it will route but internal and publc addresses?

The 17 users are my friends that I have around the county who love the high speed connections. I am going to keep asking around to find the router that will give me the solution I need.

It's much more than rapidshare, I need to be able to give public IP's to friends that need it. I can't have everyone behind one public address nor can I get another 11 GHz microwave link for each of them.

Thank you for all of your assistance,

Jack Kipster fellow wireless enthusiasts

Reply to
Jack Kipster

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.