Problem with my Linksys router when gaming

My setup: WRT54G Linksys router with two computer connected wirelessly on a WMP54G Linksys adapter which is connected to a Westell DSL modem. No new wireless phones in the house (2.4Ghz or otherwise), and the router is only a few rooms away horizontally from the wireless computer.

The problem: I only notice the problem when I game, since the connection seems 'stable' otherwise. Anyway, in the middle of a pleasant Battlefield 2 experience, I get what I can only call "hiccups" in the connection, which manifests itself in-game as a brief 1 - 2 seconds of 'lag' and the message, "There is a problem with your connection." Just a second later, the game picks back up and plays normally... until it happens again. I'd say this occurs at least once a minute, making stressful battles even more frustrating when a "hiccup" comes along and gets me killed. I usually get a ping of ~100 when I play, give or take 50. Not too good I know.

To make a long story short, the WRT54G router and WMP54G adapter are brand- new, with few security options enabled to ease troubleshooting. I'm not all that keen on wireless options.

Can anyone help me with this problem or is wireless just bad for gaming?

Reply to
Deuteros
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.