Problem with Linksys WRT54GX v2

I'm having some speed issues with my Linksys WRT54GX v2 router/switch, and any help would be greatly appreciated (and then some).

I have six desktop computers with Linksys WMP54GX PCI cards connected to a WRT54GX v2 router. However, the maximum speed of computer-to-computer transfers are slower than I would like.

In Task Manager, the best speed I can get is 7% of the 108 Mbit connection. I realize that getting 100% of the 108 is impossible, but other benchmarks I've seen would lead me to believe that something is wrong (Tom's had at least 70%, I believe). The odd thing is that the speed reading clearly plateaus at its top speed. For reference, I'm simply copying large files from one Windows share to another (again, from one computer to another on the local area network). I would expect some overhead in this case, but not this much.

I've experimented at a variety of distances (5, 20, and 100 feet) with both obstructed and unobstructed views of the router. Regardless, I still get the same results.

Signal strength has always been 90+%, so I don't think that's the issue. Also, there are no other devices hooked up to the router (only those six computers). I've tried the above tests with only two of the computers connected to the router, and I still get the same results.

Any ideas?

-Ron G

Reply to
rongreen2
Loading thread data ...

On 21 Jun 2006 12:56:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Wireless speed will always be (substantially) less than half the raw speed, since only one wireless data transfer is possible at any given time, and there are two wireless links involved when going wireless computer to wireless computer through an access point.

Your throughput suggests that you raw speed is down around 22 Mbps, possibly as a result of radio frequency interference. See Interference in Wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

Got any cables? I had ethernet cards in my laptops, and used the ethernet cards rather than wireless for tests, so with cables to the router (WRT is a wap router combo), it uses a totally different part of the computer/software/hardware/etc to connect.. Speed was fine hardwired, ergo I knew absolutely it was the wireless that was a prob (in my case it was interference from a cordless phone that knocked the speeds way down), from another laptop, turned out there was firewall software active that bolluxed

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.