Problem w/ BEFSR41 and Intel 2915ABG

Hi all,

I recently reformatted two laptops with Intel 2915ABG wireless cards now I can't connect to my Linksys BEFSR41 Wireless B router.

The laptops connect fine to other wireless APs (i.e. WRT54G v4s, Microsoft APs, Hotel APs) but just not to the BEFSR41.

These laptops were known to work fine with the BEFSR41.

Other laptops in the office can connect successfully.

So what changed with the Intel Drivers to make them stop working with the Linksys router?

We're using v10.5.1 and 10.5.2.

Thanks.

Reply to
Spam Catcher
Loading thread data ...

Is it possible that they fail to connect wirelessly because the BEFSR41 is not a wireless router?

formatting link
The following accessory is required for use with the BEFSR41:
formatting link
[sorry couldn't resist--please repost with correct AP model number]

Reply to
Todd H.

snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com:

BEFW11S4 oops :-)

Reply to
Spam Catcher

Can it at least see the ssid? What happens specifically when you try to connect? Disabled all encryption and reverted back to factory defaults on it for testing purposes?

Reply to
Todd H.

snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com:

Yes, the laptops see the SSID - it even detects that it is WEP-128. When I attempt to connect, the Intel Proset management utility brings up a message after ~30 seconds saying "cannot connect". Afterwards, it sits in an idle unconnected state.

Strange thing is that these laptops worked prior to the reformat.

The router has no MAC address filters set.

Did Intel change their drivers and make them imcompatible with certain

11B/WEP implementations?

Other laptops in the office work fine (running older drivers) ... which is extremely strange.

Reply to
Spam Catcher

Can you tell the intel proset management utility to leave you alone and allow you to instead use Windows XP's built in wireless configuration? Sorry can't recall which OS you reinstalled, but if it's XP, I have seen vendor specific management software screw things up.

Try it with wep and wpa completely disabled for s**ts and giggles. If that succeeds, then work the security issue. If you're with fresh firmware and drivers, give WPA a whirl since WEP's broken anyway.

Dunno. Check the readme's of their drivers--perhaps it's in there.

Indeed. The strangest stuff I've seen with computers though, seems to often involve wireless. I think it's because it involved radio, and radio so often involves FM. Contrary to popular belief, FM doesn't stand for frequency modulation though... it's f-in magic.

Press on here though. First try disabling intel's management software and using the vanilla windows stuff. If that fails, I'd drop back and disable all security, reset that router back to its stone age factory defaults, and try to at least get connected to it first with these machines and then tack on the security (WPA-psk with a long, random passphrase preferably).

Best Regards,

Reply to
Todd H.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:52:25 GMT, Spam Catcher wrote in :

Make sure you don't have wireless configured for "g" (or "a" + "g") mode only -- "b" needs to be enabled as well.

Reply to
John Navas

On 27 Mar 2007 13:30:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote in :

That last sentence is key! Your best bet is to start over from factory default settings. Only enable security _after_ wireless is working!

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's a b-only router ... so there's no wireless mode to set.

Nothing changed with the wireless router - in fact it worked fine before I reformatted 2 laptops.

Maybe I'll just buy a new router...

Reply to
Spam Catcher

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 06:11:04 GMT, Spam Catcher wrote in :

I was referring to your _clients_ (not the router).

Sounds like something changed on the 2 laptops; e.g., wrong WEP key. If using WEP, enter _all_ keys in hex, not ASCII characters.

First try hard resetting it to manufacturer defaults and starting over. Don't configure _any_ security until all the wireless is working.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.