problem veiwing other computers in home network (wlan)

what form does the wireless take in the notebook ie MiniPci card, external USB, PC adapter card etc........and is the software installed for it.

Reply to
Juan Hanglow
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

I have problems with connecting my notebook to home network via Asus vl500g router. The notebook establishes wireless connection and I can access internet with no problems. However, I cannonot see or access any other computer on the home network. The strange thing is that if I connect the notebook to router by wire, everything works. I already have another wirelessly connected notebook which can see others computers, but not the new one. So I guess it has to be something with different rights for wire and wireless connection on the notebook. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

Matija

Reply to
Matija

you do not say but have you tried with ALL Firewalls disabled..........

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

Thans Juan,

It's a PCMCIA card (Planet WL-3564) with installed software which configures wireless network settings (not Windows). I also tried with different PCMCI card that didn't require drivers (Windows configured) but the problem was the same.

Reply to
Matija

have you used the Windows My Network Places, Set Up a Wireless Network on that notebook..........

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

yes, this was my first thought. disabled windows firewall and router's. the problem remains.

Reply to
Matija

On the notebook I can only see myself in My Network Places. On all other computers I can see them all except the notebook. I didn't use the Set Up a Wirelss Network wizard because the network already exists. But I also didn't use it on the other notebook where everything works ok.

Reply to
Matija

I used it on my laptop because it says "This wizard will help you setup this computer to run on your Network" implying it sets up comps to run on existing networks

might just be worth a try............

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

OK I think this is my last suggestion, we are looking for your Wireless Network Connection, Properties settings........in particular NetBIOS over TCP/IP setting under a WINS tab

lets try double click the wireless network connection icon on the right hand lower icon bar (small monitor). Then Under General tab find and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) there should also be a Properties button, click on it. There may be an Advanced button here which should lead to a WINS tab, look for NetBIOS settings, ensure Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected.

after changing this setting, shut down and restart the comp..........wait a while after for it to search the network.

dj

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

that's OK but one last post from me...........look through these

it did take me a while to sort mine with the help of these sites/people

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
regs DJ

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

Tried it but still doesn't work:(

Reply to
Matija

Thank you for all your time. Unfortunately it still doesn't work so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Matija

Matija wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@matijagr.adriatic.snt.eu:

Does the missing computer(s) show up via the "search for computer"? Microsoft delights in renaming this for each OS, but something like Start | Search (maybe Find) | Computers (buried some levels of clicks deep), then enter the name of the lost computer. Might have to wait a while, here.

I have a mixed wired/wireless setup with Windows 95+ME+XP, and there is no predictable behavior on when/if NetworkPlaces (or whatever MS calls it for various OSs) show any or all of those PCs. Completely erratic! But, I can always find the other computers by the search/find method.

Lynn Killingbeck

Reply to
L Killbeck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.