- Belkin F5D7231-4 Router

- Linksys LNE 100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter

LAPTOP

- Dell Lattitude

- XP Professional 2002

- Dell True Mobile 1150 Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card

- Windows Firewall On; "Wireless Network Connection" clicked

- Laptop in same or adjacent room to router; EXC signal strength

PROBLEM The laptop loses connection after 3 minutes. Host computer is still connected to internet.

So I then:

- Open "Wireless Network Connections Properties" on laptop

- Select "Wireless Networks" tab

- Highlight the Preferred Network that Ive established for this connection (named it "Birddog")

- Hit "OK"

- Wireless connection is re-established for 3 more minutes.

This happens every 3 minutes faithfully. And i can cycle through the same process and it reconnects. What can i do to keep a constant connection on the laptop? (I am a newbie to this and couldnt find any appropriate support on the Dell or Belkin sites.)

Reply to
steve.ravioli
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

I guess this is a peer-to-peer network (no access point) or you're using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Which is it?

Do you have XP SP2 installed on either or both computahs? It sounds like it's trying to do 802.1x authentication and failing. I guess(tm) that the interval is about 3 minutes. In XP SP1, this setting was left to the user and on by default. This caused similar disconnect problems. In SP2 802.1x was disabled by default, unless one is using WPA, where 802.1x authentication is required.

If you have only XP SP1, then dive into the advanced properties for the wireless device on both machines and make sure that 802.1x authentication is disabled, unless you're using WPA. Install XP SP2 and other updates.

If that's not the cause, I don't have much to suggest.

1. Check the versions of your wireless firmware and drivers for updates.
  2. Turn on Wireless Zero Config debugging and logging:

formatting link
formatting link
see what part of the puzzle is complaining. Be prepared to get buried in far too much data.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Find the card in "device manager" and on the "Power Management" tab see if the "computer can power down to save power" setting is on. If it is turn it off.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1139678272.487839.313100 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Barry Drodge

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.