Problem connecting to wireless Linksys WRT54G router

Hi everybody,

I've recently received a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, in order to connect a few machines to the internet.

At first there was just one machine, directly connected to the cable modem, no problem so far. The second machine is a laptop which I'd like to use to roam around the house with - a wireless router seemed to be the best solution.

After configuring the laptop (a Medion, by the way), I was able to connect to the router just fine - excellent signal, no problem at all. After I was able to connect, I configured wireless security to use WPA2 (personal), with a custom key. Again, the laptop continued to work as expected, and I was still able to connect to the internet.

But then I moved the laptop to a room further down the hall (approx. 6 meters further, two walls in between), and the signal was still excellent. Alas, not for long - after a few minutes, I've lost connection to the internet.

Downstairs, it was the same scenario - each time I connected, it would work for a few minutes (indicating an excellent signal), ending in a loss of connection.

Is there something I need to or can do to change this behaviour? Is there a way to increase the signal strength of the router (I haven't found any setting indicating so)?

Also, I've changed all the settings of the internal wireless adapter of the laptop from energy-safe to power-hungry-give-it-all, but that didn't change anything.

As a minor side note - on the box, three types of routers were mentioned, with a range of "1x". Only the last one had a range of "4x". Should I have bought the "4x", or does this range indicate something entirely different?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Ikke

Reply to
Ikke
Loading thread data ...

Which hardware version of the WRT54G? Look on the serial number for the "V something" after the model number. If purchased recently, it's probably a v8 model.

Once you've determined the hardware version, go unto the Linksys web site and download the latest firmware version. Install.

Two walls made of what? Concrete? Steel? Wire mesh? Aluminum foil backed insulation? It's difficult to tell if 2.4GHz will go through a wall without some clue as to what's in the wall.

Try a firmware update, but I don't think that's the problem. There were some WRT54G v5 thru v8 routers that simply didn't work out of the box. Mostly, they had comatose receivers. You could hear them anywhere, but trying to stay connected was a challenge. Typically, they didn't work more than about 10 ft away. Verify the problem with another known working laptop, and test your laptop with another known working wireless access point. However, I think you're headed for a warranty replacement.

Good idea, but not this time.

Mind if I don't comment on what I consider to be marketing hype?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It was purchased a few days ago, but apparently it's a v7 model.

I'm not going to install new firmware on a device on which I still have guarantee left. If it doesn't work out-of-the-box, it's going back to the store.

Sorry, I should've mentioned that. It's a brick wall, but there is a huge metal wireframe in the floor if you draw a line from the router to the laptop downstairs.

But still, I can see the wireless router of my neighbour - and that's another two walls and an extra 30 meters away, measured from the router!

... which is indeed what I'm going to do. I'm going to ask another WRT54G (I like the router and it's configuration, so why change), but if that one doesn't work, it's up to the store to either pony up my cash or another working router.

I've also tried to change the channel, as a colleague suggested. Didn't work - again, I'm out of options, so the device is going back.

Ah, I see. Understood :)

Thank you for your reply!

Ikke

Reply to
Ikke

That make it certain that there is something wrong with your WRT54G v7. If you can see the neighbors, but not your own, then the router is busted.

Changing channels has only a slight effect on signal strength. The strongest channel is usually in the middle of the band, such as CH6. As you get near the band edges, the signal strength tends to drop because it gets close to the various filter skirts.

Good luck on the replacement and try to get a v8 model. They seem to be somewhat better than the v5 and v6. I haven't personally seen any v7 routers, so I can't say much about the change to the Atheros chipset. See table of chipsets at:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.