Problem accessing website from inside network

I have Belkin 802.11b Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router (F5D6231-4) and I am hosting some websites on my server in the network (FC4 & Apache). I don't have any problem accessing those websites outside the network, but when I try to access the same websites inside the network, instead of the website, I always see the router setup page??!! Has anyone else face the same problem and/or have solution?

Thanks, Sachin

Reply to
shahsachin
Loading thread data ...

What are you talking about?

Have you done a hard reset of the router?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

It's rather difficult to decode what you mean by "inside the network". Also, I can't tell what you mean by "those" websites. Are they YOUR web servers, or just the usual web servers on the internet?

What exact URL are you feeding the web browser that gives you the setup page? If it's 192.168.2.1, that's the router. Anything else will be one of your machines.

Do you have static IP's (192.168.2.xxx) configured for your servers? Are your Apache servers running on port 80?

Just in case you have inside and outside backwards, if your F5D6231-4 supports remote admin, either move it to a port other than 80, or just turn off remote admin.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for your responses.

Let me give you some more details, which might avoid the confusion. When I said "inside the network" I meant another computer connected to that Belkin router. So say, one port of router is occupied by my web server (192.168.2.xx) and I connect my laptop to the wireless network of the same router (192.168.2.yy), and then I try to connect to my website from laptop e.g.

formatting link
(which is hosted on the web server on port 80, and that URL will resolve to Belkin router's WAN IP), instead of my website, i get the router setup screen. But if I connect to
formatting link
"ourside the network" (i.e. from the computer which is not a part of that router network, e.g. my work machine), it correctly shows the website.

My Remote Management option is disabled, so that's not the issue I think.

Sachin

Reply to
shahsachin

Well, you cannot access the Web server from within the LAN/Intranet using

formatting link
To access the Web server on the LAN/Intranet from another machine on the LAN, you would enter http://192.168.2.xx in the browser address line.

Yes, and you're correct that using

formatting link
will resolve to the public WAN/Internet IP issued by the ISP, which allows contact with the Web server over the Internet, because //myname.com is being equated to the WAN IP due to the O/S using the URL and looks up the IP to use via the ISP's DNS servers.

If you want to access the Web server that's running on the local machine, you would enter http://127.0.0.1 or Http://localhost in the browser address line, which works that way with IIS and the MS platform.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Are your client machines Windoze, Linux, or MacIntosh? If a DNS lookup ends up pointing to the wrong machine, it's just as likely to be the client as the router. However, I can't tell what it's pointing to when run from the LAN side. Try running: ping myname.com and see what IP address gets resolved. It should be the WAN IP address of your router which is currently 71.128.193.129. If DNS is doing it's job, that should work correctly.

However, there's some question as to how your Belkin router handles connections to your own IP address, from the LAN side, to the WAN IP address. My guess(tm) is that it will end up doing exactly what you described previously and end up pointing to the LAN side, which on port 80 is the internal web page configuration. I'll try it on my BEFW11S4 and see what happens. Back in a few....

No, that's not it. Bad guess on my part.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Bingo. Mine does the same thing. I redirected port 80 to point to my workstation IP. That did some really weird things, so I redirected port 80 to another machine. I'm on home.learnbydestroying.com which points to my static IP address. When I point my browser to:

formatting link
get the setup menu login for my BEFW11S4v4 router. That's exactly what you're getting so I guess(tm) that it's normal or at least typical. Sorry, I guess you'll have to use the local LAN IP's when testing your servers from the LAN side of your router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This is your mistake.

Internally, your website is not known by your external URL, so myname.com will be the incorrect name. Try the IP address directly eg

http://192.168.2.xx And presumably your PCs have hostnames internal to your network eg Server1, mypc etc. You can also use that. http://server1

For comparison, I have Apache on one of my PCs, and internally its known as "http://thepc" whereas externally it is known as "

formatting link
"

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Jeff, its nothing to do with this - Duane's post answers the problem. The OP is simply misunderstanding the relationship between internal and external web addresses. Inside his net, he should use the local machines' netbios names. Outside, he should use his assigned DNS entry, which the router will forward to the relevant machine. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Jeff's second answer is the right one, most routers won't allow NAT machines to loop around and come back into their WAN ports on outbound connections. Just the way it is... [For instance, Adtran told me to make sure I put DNS entries in the Netvanta 2054 router's DNS server to solve the problem, but I just used up another static IP instead.]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Additionsally you could put an entry in your host file on our PC of yourdomainname and point it to the 192.168.x.x address... then it will work properly as that will cause it to ignore the actual external IP address.

Reply to
lars

His followup was /righter/ but still not the actual source of the problem. Inside your own LAN, you can't use your external hostname (other than via some trickery such as Jeff referenced).

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You can't even use your external IP. This is a router problem, not a DNS problem...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I actually do use the LAN IP of the web host to get to my site from intranet, but that will only resolve to the default site (in my case it is something like

formatting link
), but how do I get to the other sites which I am hosting on the same server like wiki.myname.com, blog.myname.com and forum.myname.com (which are technically hosted on the same WAN IP, but Apache directs them to the different locations based on the HTTP headers and virtual host concept) with just single LAN IP?? That will require complex Apache configuration and I don't know I want to go that route!! Any simple solution for that??

Sachin

Reply to
shahsachin

That's a different problem. I assume you have only one IP address.

There's nothing really complex about using Apache virtual domains. Basically, you get your DNS to your domain (example.com) to have all subdomains point to your IP address. All the various servers go to port 80 for redirection. However, this works best with a single web server, not multiple machines. May I suggest an alternative:

Find yourself a domain registry that handles URL redirection. Setup the DNS for your

formatting link
to point to your IP. If it's a dynamic IP address, get a dynamic DNS service provider.

Setup URL redirection (not DNS) to point to something like this: server01.example.com =>

formatting link
server02.example.com =>
formatting link
server03.example.com =>
formatting link
server04.example.com =>
formatting link

In your router, configure port forwarding to point to each of your servers. Something like: port 9001 -> 192.168.1.101 (server01) port 9002 -> 192.168.1.102 (server02) port 9003 -> 192.168.1.103 (server03) port 9004 -> 192.168.1.104 (server04)

There are several variations on this arrangement. For example, if you are running your own DNS server, you can do all this internally. However, that will require that you have a static WAN IP address.

Note that this has nothing to do with wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

But he can't get to example.com at any port from inside his LAN, as it's the WAN IP address of his (NAT) router, and his router won't route LAN machines back into it's WAN port.

Or am I missing something? I have a similar setup, so I use separate static IPs for the server and the LAN NAT router.

Yeah, it's a bit OT, but it's not that far afield...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William P.N. Smith hath wroth:

I'm doing a bit of reading between the lines here, but my guess(tm) is that he's trying to figure out how to setup multiple servers behind a router with a dynamic WAN IP address without using Apache virtual domains. The odd original problem of connecting to his WAN IP to access his servers from the LAN side is sorta a side effect of this exercise. Methinks it can be discounted because he has equally functional access by using the LAN IP's.

Having more than one WAN IP address is a nice luxury and certainly the easiest way to do this. However, there's no evidence that the OP has more than one WAN IP available. When I do a public hot spot in a business, I usually try for more than one IP WAN IP address in order to keep the public and the private LANs seperated (and secure). For example, my office complex has 5 static bridged WAN IP addresses on one DSL line. Attached are 5 routers going to each of 5 businesses. I don't even notice the other 5 businesses (except when traffic gets heavy).

formatting link
This arragenment is also nice because it doesn't have the original problem. Several of the other routers have various servers located behind them. I can connect from inside my LAN to any of the *OTHER* IP's, without getting redirected to the router config. However, as was the original problem, I can't connect to my own web server this way (using my WAN IP).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Its certainly not a DNS problem but its also not a router "Problem", since there's nothing wrong with the router.

As you undoubtedly know, inside your network, your machines have private IPs, mapped to private names, possibly controlled via a DNS server of some sort, possibly statically mapped on each machine. So from "inside" you should use your actual machine's name.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

AFAIK you can't trivially test that from inside. One way would be to alias the machine to several different hostnames, and map each to a different virtual domain on the webserver. Another is to get a PAYG dialup acct with some ISP and connect to your site over the internet. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I don't think so - I believe he's trying to test a multiple-domain setup, and can't, since it requires you to connect to different hostnames aliased to the same server.

Again I think you may be wrong.

I agree tho, its b*gger all to do with wireless. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.