privacy software

I was just wondering if anyone knows of software that can give you complete privacy when accessing a public wireless network. I'm hoping to find something that sends everything through a proxy server encrypted. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

Google "Tor"

Reply to
Mr User

First, there's no such thing as total privacy. One person suggested Tor but there's been privacy concerns about criminals or spammers that host Tor servers. You could run your own SSH server (my personal favorite) or Tor server or VPN on your home network - after establishing one of those connections you could do whatever without someone monitoring your activities going through a wireless hotspot (such as at airports, hotels, libraries, restaurants, etc).

Reply to
johnny

On 20 Jan 2007 22:57:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

See if your ISP offers VPN service. The better ISPs provide this on all accounts, for example Sonic.net, which is the premier ISP in the San Francisco Bay Area, includes VPN on all accounts. Unfortunately, a lot of the ISPs only offer VPN to their business customers.

If your ISP doesn't offer VPN service, look into a private VPN service.

See "

formatting link
" They used to have free accounts for individuals, but now the free account is limited to a 10MB test account, then it's about $1/GB.

I think the best deal is at "

formatting link
" It's not really a VPN, but it should be fine for what you need, and it's only $25/year. It used to be called "Spotlock."

Reply to
SMS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.