Printing from Wireless Laptop to Networking Printer

Thanks. Didn't notice the time was off. Don't have any idea how that happened either.

Reply to
Jerry Park
Loading thread data ...

How is your printer connected to your network? Is it connected to a desktop or a print server?

Reply to
Teddybare

Hello,

I just got off of chat mode with HP. I have a home network that is primarily Ethernet.

I have an 802.11g WAP connected to my network via Ethernet. The idea is so that I can let visitors use their wireless devices on my Internet connection when they are visiting. I also want them to be able to print to my printer, if needed.

My employer just issued me a laptop with 802.11g connectivity. I've downloaded and installed the printer driver needed to print to my HP networking printer (connected to my network via Ethernet).

I have good connectivity to my WAP from the laptop (it rates the signal Excellent). So, I go to install a printer on the laptop. When it gets to where I enter http://#.#.#.#, I put it in with the IP address of the printer on my network. When I press Next, I get an error message saying that Windows cannot connect to the printer.

I can ping the printer from the laptop and I can open the Web interface from the laptop. But, I cannot install the printer from the laptop.

HP says you cannot connect to the printer partially via wireless and partially via Ethernet (path). Would this be a valid conclusion?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

What's with the Oct 3, 2005 machine date?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Are we talking E. S. P. here? ;-)

I already have a private/static IP address on the printer. All of my local devices (including my two VOIP adapters) have static addresses. I only use DHCP for initially setting up a new device or a visitor who might want to use my network from their wireless device.

The procedure above didn't follow my PC to the letter. But I did get it working with the aid of the above.

And HP said it 'couldn't be done'. Then explain the test page that just printed from my printer.

Thanks very much, guy.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

w> the signal Excellent). So, I go to install a printer on the laptop.

Where are you entering http://#.#.#.# ? That would not be in an "add a printer" routine in Windows. Directly adding the printer IP in some spot where Windows is expecting the address of a print server won't work, unless you have already told it that it is a JetDirect connection.

If you are entering that into a browser window, some HP printers have self-install features there. On WinXP, There is some java issue. I let the screen timeout, failing to load any java applets, and then refresh the window, and everything seems to work. You said your browser window works, so in the left pane there should be a "internet printing install wizard" which should open a window to an appropriate HP page. For me that link is

formatting link
with the ip address of my printer in the URL. This takes a while to open a java applet.

That would also load a windows tool that is separately downloadable from the HP Business site <

formatting link
"HP Install Network Printer Wizard". This is helpful if you need to install drivers to support the printer, but it needs to be installed first, so that's a bit of a pain, especially for a temporary visitor.

You can simply "add a local printer" as someone else noted, but you have to be able to locate appropriate drivers. What I do to skip that step is share the printer from some other machine that already has it properly configured, connect to that share, which downloads the drivers, and then adjust the "port" for the direct IP address.

Reply to
dold

I now have a linksys wireless printserver (about $84 at walmart), works great and allows both the printer to be wireless, and also work like a locally attached printer to my wireless laptops. I did have to hardwire via USB into my router for a few minutes to set up the printer, but now it works fine with anyones wireless laptops.

One minor problem, that may explain part of it, when hardwired it checks the ink levels before printing, but doesn't wirless.. I would suspect it some sort of control stuff in the software that doesn't like non direct connects.

Reply to
Peter Pan

The wireless printservers almost all function as simple printers. None of the mult-function fax/scan/copy and extended status like ink levels works with them, in general.

I think the original poster had something with an HP JetDirect card. Those would offer full integration with networked PCs, and should be transparent whether wired or wireless.

Reply to
dold

Connecting to a networked printer in Windows is counter intuitive.

First note that better results are obtained if the printer is assigned a static address. You can access it by name, but that seems somewhat flaky to me.

The following is for Windows XP, but will be similar for other Windows versions.

From the printers screen, choose 'Add a printer'. When the Add Printer Wizard appears, click next. Choose 'Local printer attached to this computer' -- Don't choose 'A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer' as would be logical. Next, choose 'Create a new port'. From the pull down list, choose 'Standard TCP/IP port' Next enter the printer name or IP address (IP address works best) and the Port name (name the Port anything you want, like 'networked HP' Next you will need to choose a device type. If the HP device is listed, use it, otherwise, I generally use just 'Network Print Server (1 port)' Next you will choose or add the printer drivers. That should do it.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.