Printer Anywhere (Beta) Free Download

PrinterAnywhere has just come out with a no-brainer of a product that I think will turn out to be quite useful, and best of all, it?s free! PrinterAnywhere lets you share your printer with someone else, or vice versa across the internet! Instead of sending someone an attachment of a contract, just print it directly to their printer. You won?t have to worry about people not being able to open files that you send them, all you?ve got to do is set the connection up (takes less than a minute) and print from whatever program you created it in, to their printer. Excellent. If you?ve got an internet connection, a printer that you can print to, and Windows XP, you really can print anywhere.

Reply to
efi
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:59:22 -0500, efi wrote in :

Yet another solution in search of an actual problem. Hint: Email a copy of the original document.

Reply to
John Navas

Reminds me of the time the US Army send snow shovels to the Port of New Orleans. (Two recorded incidents of ~1/4" of snow. 1850s and 1957)

Reply to
NotMe

I had that running with LPR/LPD 10 years (or more) ago. No big deal. HP later improved the security with IPP (Internet Printing Protocol) which includes more RFC's than anyone has time to read:

Most of IPP is directly supported by Microsoft in W2K and XP, Apple, and by HP in JetDirect products. Admittedly, IPP implimentation is a bit complex, but it is complete and totally functional.

Basically, methinks you've reinvented the wheel. So, what does yours do that IPP doesn't? Where do I find it? (You forgot to post a URL).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's the beauty! It (presumably) doesn't use open protocols instead it's proprietary and its functional details are kept secret to improve security.

;-)

- Nate >>

Reply to
Nate Bargmann

That sounds like just a another dandy security hole and imagine all of the FAX type spam that can be sent with this "tool".

So, is this software independently audited? Is it "open source" so it can be audited? What other "helpful" side effects does it have?

You do understand that leaving insecure/unknown software exposed to the Internet is inviting disaster, right?

- Nate >>

Reply to
Nate Bargmann

Seems like you have a solution without a problem. I simply attach a PDF which can be viewed/printed on practically any computer running any OS.

Reply to
George

If thats the case run the other direction. There is no security through obscurity.

Reply to
George

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:59:39 -0500, George wrote in :

Too easy.

Reply to
John Navas

Humor impaired today, George? Or, do I need to tag it as next time?

:-D

- Nate >>

Reply to
Nate Bargmann

And doesn't set up the recipient for FAX style spam from all sorts of "friendly" vendors around the world.

- Nate >>

Reply to
Nate Bargmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.