print server name vs network neighborhood

ok... not exactly a wireless question - but lots of good smart folks...

Unlike the usual workgroup setups, most of my computers are setup with their own "workgroup" name so I can see that they are talking to each other across the "workgroup" world as a Windows Network.

I can see all my different computers... running Win98, XP, and Vista.

However - the Netgear PS101 that I use to create a quick network print server does NOT appear in the XP Network Neighborhood display.

The Netgear PS101 default and non-changeable workgroup name is in fact "WORKGROUP". So, if I change one of the computer to that group, then I can see the print server, but the other workgroups can't.

What is different with a print server that it does not broadcast SMBs that are recognized by the other Windows computers for their list of available "servers".

Reply to
P.Schuman
Loading thread data ...

Right. That saves you the effort of finding the appropriate newsgroup or mailing list. However, it's ok to be lazy.

I can tell you don't understand how Windoze Workgroups work. Search Google for "browser service" such as:

PS101 v1 or v2? Big difference inside.

See Fig 4-12 for how to change the unchangeable workgroup name.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

so - whadda think would be a good newsgroup for this question ?

I thought I understood the NBT browser service & master browser selection process. poke around with NBTSTAT and NET VIEW and Windows Network

BUT - it appears the print servers - all, or just the Netgear I have - don't have the support to become their own Master Browser for a group and therefore can only join as a participating member of a group. The hierarchy displayed with the Windows Network/Neighborhood shows: Workgroup Names then Computer Host Name, or Print Server Name, or whatever host device for computers, then the shared folders and shared physical devices for the print server, the P1 port name

I have a NAS (network attached storage) running in it's own workgroup name, and it appears as a "computer" with it's sub-folders.

SO - I was guessing that the print server would act as a "computer" with a printer attached, just like we see in the Windows Network display with our real computers and their associated printers.

Reply to
P.Schuman

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:07:59 GMT, "P.Schuman" wrote in :

Not a good reason.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:53:23 GMT, "P.Schuman" wrote in :

Use Google Groups to search for your answer. You might even find it without posting a new question. Otherwise you can scan the results to see which newsgroups are most appropriate for such queries.

Reply to
John Navas

Ok, you really are lazy. Well, John suggested you use Google Groups for searching:

Inscribe "print server netgear" or something similar in the search box. Looks like comp.periphs.printers has something.

If all else fails, you can try the Netgear Forums at:

for specifics on the PS101.

It's master browser election, not selection. I'll stand on my observation.

Netbios printing does NOT use port names. It uses "device names". LPR/LPD and some other print system, use port names. This should be a clue.

Also, be careful with line wrap on the cut-n-paste.

Yep. If the PS101 actually supported NETBIOS printing, it also would appear as a device.

Good guess. I assumed the same thing when Netgear advertised Windoze printing. However, there are other forms of printing available on Windoze which includes LPR/LPD.

Hint: Methinks (not sure) that the PS101 is a one port version of the PS104. I scribbled a document on how to setup the PS104 for SCO Unix using LPR/LPD. See:

See if you can get it to belch something by sending a file to IP port

4010. If it works, then it's not even LPR/LPD. It's printing directly to an IP port number.

Look at the serial number tag. Does is say nothing after the model number? If nothing, then it's a v1. If it says v2, it's a v2. If you want specific answers, it's considered good form to supply specifics.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had it all working just fine via the Windows direct print via the TCP/IP port. Was basically looking for some info on why it didn't appear to the network like the NAS drive, but since it's just the basic LPR device, that pretty much covers it.

I'll follow up in the other newsgroup.

Reply to
P.Schuman

Not according to it's manual. Use the setup program for it. That let's you set its workgroup.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.