Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- darrin drew
December 31, 2004, 6:12 pm
rate this thread
Re: print server
> I'm a newbie to this so please bear with me. I have a wireless router
> (Linksys WKPC54G) connected to my dsl modem. It's hard wired to my desktop
> PC. I want to use my laptop to print also what do I have to do to get this
> don any suggestions?
1. No $$$ solution: Set up your desktop computer to share its printer
resource. If the desktop is powered up, you will be able to print either
from the desktop or from anywhere else on your network.
2. Investment solution: Buy a print server, connect the printer to it and
connect the server to your network. You will be able to print from
anywhere in your network. Very convenient.
I have method #2 sharing three printers with four computers. I got
frustrated with having to power up a machine just to print something.
Some routers include a printer port. Mine doesn't ... nor does yours.
My next one will.
One caveat about print servers: they don't support gingerbread like
on-screen reporting of ink levels.
- » Ooma tells me speed & jitter are ok but I have 0.25% packet loss on WISP
- — Newest thread in » Wireless Networking
- » Telecom Digest Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) [telecom]
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » General Telecommunications Forum