Pre-N / Draft-N : Real world performance...

(Sorry, forgot the subject on previous post. I hope it doesn't post.)

Hi,

You can read benchmarks and specs until you are blue in the face, but nothing beats descriptions of real world use.

To those that are using Pre-N / Draft-N, what performances are you actually seeing?

Curious because I know one of the things that I am going to be wanting to do in the future is be able to stream high definition video to multiple locations in my house simultaneously. I can currently stream HD great from my WMC (Vista) to my HDTV (extender is an XB360) in the living room. My WMC is on my 802.11a WLAN, of which everything also uses DLink's proprietary "turbo" channel-bonding black magic. The XB360 has no problem keeping up. The XB360 is plugged directly into a LAN port on one of my 802.11a/g routers. Tune test on the XB360 even shows the bars on the throughput graph to be completetly peaked. However, once other heavy WLAN traffic starts moving around, it tapers down to top of standard definition video range.

I was thinking that when the time comes, I'll take my WMC off my 802.11a WLAN and run it on a new 802.11n network that will be just for heavy multimedia streaming. (More crap in the air, I know. I'll make sure everything is well seperated.)

Anyone using Pre-N / Draft-N to stream HD to multiple locations simultaneously right now? Or is running cable in the future if you want to do this...

I'm not only going to wait on 802.11n to be ratified, but also going to wait on the second generation of hardware after it is ratified so all the inevitable initial problems can be ironed out.. So, still two years away....

Thanks...

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

In which case why bother posting. I suspect youve only just upgraded from a CRT monitor. I'm very happily using Draft N now :), see you in two years

Reply to
Jim

If 802.11n isn't going to be able to handle multiple HD feeds, I was thinking of running cable throughout the house...

...and might as well do it now. If it can handle it, I'll wait.

Reply to
Eric

"Eric" wrote in news:46c08b01$0$12176$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Running cable, whenever possible, should always be the first choice anyway. It should outperform any wireless, especially if it's GB ethernet, more secure, and it won't stop working when the neighborhood gets filled up with WLANs and wireless cams and such.

Reply to
DanS

Might look into the high speed powerline networking systems coming out. The ones that use your household AC circuit to network. You put one in from your router to the wall, and then can use the matching wall-socket ethernet adapters wherever you want in the house.

Research it though, as I saw that there are two or more systems and you want to get the right one.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Don't it have to be on the same circuit (fuse)?

Reply to
Eric

"Eric" hath wroth:

No. However, it may possibly have to be on the same phase.

Most home wiring is 117VAC 2 phase using 3 wires. Red and Black are the two phases and white is the common neutral. If the load on the two phases were exactly the same wattage, the current through the neutral wire is zero, because the two loads are 90 degrees out of phase, and therefore cancel.

The problem is that the two phases do not officially talk to each other at the 2-28MHz (for 200mbits/sec) frequencies used by HomePlug. Most vendor claim that they will talk to each other sufficiently through the mutual inductive coupling between the hot power wires, but my experience with this has been rather variable. For example, it works in my office, but not at my house where my whole house power line filter seems to do an excellent job of short circuiting the higher frequencies.

One should be able to find a "HomePlug Phase Coupler" but they don't seem to exist. All the phase couplers I've found are for X10 systems that operate at 120Khz, not 2-28Mhz.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ah, thats cool. Thanks, Jeff, learned something new again!

Ya, X10 was why I was thinking that. Played around with X10 back in the

80's. LOL Had an X10 controller for a TRS-80 Color Computer, along with a few plug modules. Silly stuff...
Reply to
Eric

Absolutely not... Common misconception (fallacy/lie), they just have to be on the same leg off a transformer..... (in the US, that's typical for

99.9999% of homes)
Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.