Powerline product question need wireless expansion

You can daisy chain routers (almost) all you want... The wrt thing is actually both a wap (wireless access point) and a router in the same box, sharing power/a wall wart.... no such thing as a technical difference between n and g routers... If a salesman told you any different and his lips were moving, he was probably lying (or training to be a politician :)

as for g or gs doesn't really matter, both work about the same for what you want to do, just the g model (no s on the end) is cheaper (at walmart g is

48.88, gs is 78.96) up to you if you want to spend a few bucks more.

when you do the configuration on your new thing (or if you reset it cuz you messed up), you can connect to it either wired or wireless, and in your browser go to 192.168.1.1.... I would suggest use a cable for the initial config and turn off wireless, you can also set the starting ip address for the whole enchilada (it starts/resets to 192.168.1.1, since you already have one device at that address i would set the second at 192.168.1.200 ), and if you want you can also change the starting address for dhcp etc (don't mess with that), Comes as a default of 4 addresses for the router part, and default dhcp server provides 50 more.... oddly enuf, that adds up to the max number of 254! (that's why I use 200, easy to remember and works out real easy)

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Thank you very much. I looked at my admin panel and found I could indeed set the IP address of the router to other than 192.....1 and can change starting IP addresses. I sued to read this stuff about using WRT-DD firmware upgrades, setting router as a bridge and all that jazz. No need to get a router made as an AP or Bridge or whatever you want to call it. You set me straight on this about daisy-chaining.

I thank you much Excellent.

Thanks Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas

I suggest that if you get a Linksys WRT54G, spend the extra money and get the GL. The newer versions of the plain G are worse and worse. The antenna is not replacable anymore except on the GL.

The GL will work much better for switching over to DD-WRT if you ever decide to do that.

formatting link

As for using routers as AP, most any will do that, not just the Linksys. See:

formatting link
Note,: you will NOT need a crossover cable with a modern router.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.