powerline network adapters

Been using them for years, and they work absolutely great. Specially in places that have power, but you'd have to rip out metal/walls for network cable (like boats RV's and planes). Unfortunatly, they usually only go to around 14Mb (faster than B but slower than G), and many many people want a way bigger number (like 108 Mb), so they can wrongly say that their 4Mb Cable or 2 Mb DSL/sat is faster than anyone elses and runs at 54/108 etc...

Why spend 50 or 60 bucks, when you can run new cat 5/6 wires in walls for hundreds/thousands? This is the USA.. It's imperitive that you waste thousands of dollars on something you don't need but is cheap/easy/works great in most situations.. our economy depends on people spending large amounts of money they don't need to. You'd be a commie if you didn't spend thousands more than you have too, and keep our economy growing.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Has anybody heard of these powerline network adapters and do you know what they are like compared to wireless routers and cards Regards Mark

Reply to
MARK

Oh... Well, as rosanne-rosanna-dana used to say on Saturday Night Live..... "Nevermind"......

Reply to
Peter Pan

Hi Mark.

I'm using a wireless power line device during my summer holidays in France: it's working very well if you have a powerful broadband connection. I have 8 mega DSL provided by Wanadoo, it goes into my router and from there into a power adapter plugged in an outlet. Any power outlet in the house now have broadband and you can connect your PC to it with another adapter. Also, you can connect a special wireless device in the plug with a range of

200 meters, ideal to cover a garden with pool. The great thing about a powerline network is you can have a connection through any electrical plug and you don't need to run phone lines through your house, especially if it's quite large with several floors and an outdoor area. Go for it if you have it where you are living!

Cheers,

Steffo

MARK wrote:

Reply to
Steffo

OP is in the UK, he can't spend thousands of dollars, they won't be accepted in the shops!

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Steffo I have broadband wanadoo also but 512kbps would that be ok for an ordinary 3 bedroom house. cheers Mark

Reply to
MARK

I have had all manner of trouble with them. I live in a rural area and there are some villages where the quality of the power supply is such that they simply are useless. In other areas they work OK, but are still more prone to problems that I like.

David _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 140,000 groups Unlimited download

formatting link
to open account

Reply to
David Goodenough

Can you elaborate? What problems with the power supply are you having that would cause a problem for a local carrier on your house wiring?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I have no idea, but I found that identical units (often the same units) worked in some villages, or rather on some supply lines, but not on others. I never did get to the bottom of it but I can only assume it is the supply (or something noisy powered from the same substation) as moving the same powerline units to another village (or in one case the other end of the same village which was fed from the other direction) and the behaviour of the units changed totally. The usual symptom was that the units would work fine for a few seconds, then fail for a few, and repeat for ever.

David _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 140,000 groups Unlimited download

formatting link
to open account

Reply to
David Goodenough

In my opinion, you should double that up if you have only 2 computers connected, but go even higher if you have more. Remember that the wired PCs will split your broadband but wireless devices will not, so prefer a wireless connection if your computers have the wi-fi tools. I'm pretty sure you can cover the whole house you have with only one wireless device, but I'm wondering why you don't get the livebox from Wanadoo: it might be cheaper after all. In any case, wire-connect your desktop to the router (or livebox) and have the printer connected to that PC, then set up the home network sharing wirelessly the printer with the laptops: you don't need to run any additional phone lines. The LiveBox also comes with a phone connected to it where you can make VoIP calls. I'm using the powerline network in the south of France because the old villa is huge (only 2 phone plugs in 4 floors, 25 bedrooms and the outdoors area) and the best solution is having the connection using the electricity to go all over and plug in a wireless device to cover that area you need. With 8 mega ADSL, 2 PCs, 4 laptops (wireless), I'm getting about 2.4 mega in each connection, so there's some loss of bandwidth somewhere along the line. At home in Switzerland, I have a house similar to yours and I'm using a classic 2 mega ADSL connection with a wi-fi modem-router with 1 PC wire-connected to it and 2 wi-fi laptops around the house: in each terminal, I'm getting 1.2 / 1.6 mega and I think there's less loss of bandwidth than the powerline set up and the whole system is cheaper than the powerline one.

MARK wrote:

Reply to
Steffo

In another thread David Taylor referred me (so I don't claim any credit) to these sites:

formatting link
both have powerline products claimed to work at 85Mbps. The cheaper product is £36 + VAT per unit.

Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Touche, although there are many places in the UK that will happily take US dollars.

Reply to
John Navas

Yep, Banks, Bureau de Change, British regsistered aircraft and possibly a very few shops in airports.

Where else did you have in mind?! There are a tiny number of very large shops in the shopping districts in London that *might* just about take the Euro but the US dollar? Not many that I can think of, where were you thinking of?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I've had no problem using US dollars at many hotels and shops in London.

Reply to
John Navas

Which shops? Other than say Harrods? :)

A hotel isn't a shop, doesn't count. ;)

Reply to
David Taylor

Harrods was one, but only one. Others I do not remember them by name. My non-Harrods purchases included clothing, dinnerware, crystal, and miscellaneous gifts.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.