Potential sniffer plane (N168DK)

formatting link

This was orbiting over Oakland today for three hours. It does appear to have more antennas than usual for a C182.

Reply to
miso
Loading thread data ...

miso wrote, on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:50:20 -0800:

That's interesting miso, because I was driving on I580 today when I checked my tower signals and something weird showed up for the cell tower id number.

This was probably something like 20 miles from Oakland or so:

formatting link

Reply to
James P. Doolittle

No LAC or CID is interesting. What time was this?

BTW, if you noticed, that photo was from Arizona. These DOJ planes seem to move around the country. Trouble is the DOJ has been flying Cessnas for years, so they can't all be dirt boxes.

I guess I need to compile my list of surveillance planes and we can start looking at antennas.

Reply to
miso

formatting link

Here are two planes that could have sniffers.

This is registered to the San Mateo county sheriff department, but it gets loaned to the feds. It isn't a 182 however.

formatting link

Orbits over Oakland and San Jose.

formatting link

Hey hey hey, look at N301A:

formatting link

When the CIA was flying surveillance aircraft over Columbia, they put sniffer gear in the cargo bay. After a number of crashes, they went to twin engine aircraft. But a Cessna Caravan would be fine for domestic surveillance.

formatting link

Reply to
miso

miso wrote, on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:20:05 -0800:

I was there for a while, so, it was over a period of hours. This one reading was early in the morning.

But I had similar readings later in the day.

I wasn't able to determine if the LAC & CID returned, but, for the past week or so, I've been checking, and this was the first time with no LAC & CID.

The weird thing is that the carrier was known, so, that's not something I'd expect of the feds.

Reply to
James P. Doolittle

They have to spoof the carrier (T-Mobile) else your phone won't connect. I'm not sure if they have to spoof everything. I would need to watch Chris/Kristen's Pagets video again, but I think he just filled in junk for the tower data.

Incidentally, I loaded

formatting link

Kind of sluggish operation, but it does log towers. I haven't set up a OpencellID account, but I think the program will just check the database that it creates on your phone.

Reply to
miso

I see the LAC isn't listed for LTE on my app,

Reply to
miso

Never mind, I booted and the LAC showed up.

Reply to
miso

N168DK doing orbits over Oakland 11/28/2014 starting around 11AM. Altitude

4500ft. It would be hard to spot by eye unless you are observant.
Reply to
miso

Surveillance over at 1:19PM

These dirt boxes can't be stealing IMSIs for hours on end without people noticing. Maybe they run intermittently.

Reply to
miso

Mysteriously, that image link in the previous post of N168DK is no longer on the internet. Not that I suspect some three letter agency got wind of the post.

You can find the image here:

You might want to save a copy on your PC.

Reply to
miso

It's gone again. This time they put a sign up. "This image is unavailable" In 8 different languages. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Yep! What me paranoid?

The trouble is nothing dies on the internet, but a plane photo doesn't bounce around the interwebs as much as a topless selfie. I could upload the photo someplace, but it is copyrighted.

The trouble with the DOJ is they use civilian airports, so it is hard for their assets not to be photographed. For example, let's say the FBI uses Hayward airport (cough cough)......

Reply to
miso

Wayback machine?

Reply to
pedro

Flickr doesn't show up on archive.org, other than some advert for the service.

N879WM was flying orbits over Oakland today, starting around 10AM. This is a known FBI plane based on the Jena callsign:

It used Hayward airport. Let us see if this photo disappears.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.