Possible to share sattelite internet??

Sure.. Not only possible but done all the time (with direcway systems at least notice no T.. see em at

formatting link
The current systems basically have all the stuff in a box that has an ethernet output port, plugs right into a wireless wap or wap/router... Similar to what a cable or dsl modem does.

A bunch of people with sat systems in their rv's have em, pull into a place, and anyone in range can access the internet via WiFi. I have one in my work truck. Seems that if it can be done on mobile systems (when parked), it should work in stick homes.

Specifically the page you go to is

formatting link
and some of the text from that page (go there for pretty pictures, I can only post text here): With DIRECWAY®, super-fast, always-on satellite Internet access is ready when you are - no dialing in, no waiting, no tied-up phone lines. You'll download files in seconds, quickly access and play audio or video clips, and surf faster than you ever imagined. You can even network multiple computers. There's no software to load and DIRECWAY is compatible with Windows and Mac, so getting online anywhere in the contiguous US is easy! Have a clear view of the southern sky? You can be high-speed surfing today. ==================================================================== Price? (depending where you get it, about $400-$600, some places even have a $100 rebate)

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

All,

My brother and I are interested in sattelite internet, as where we live out in BFE the only thing available is dial up(argh!). Is it possible to share an internet connection via sattelite somehow, and if so what would you need and would it be legal? I've called a sattelite company and the guy wasn't sure but said that if you can get the signal to the other home(one without the dish)it shouldn't be a problem and thinks its legal. I'm guessing how it would work is one home would have the dish. The dish would be hardwired to the modem. Between the modem and pc you would need some type of wirless router that is capable of sending a signal out of the home and into the other. The distance is 3 -400 feet. Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks Ron

Reply to
rferoni

DirecWay used to be a card, maybe even a pair of cards, inserted in your computer. Even then, they acknowledged that sharing was possible via Windows ICS on a "home network".

Newer systems are standalone, and work with a router, so your sharing should be just fine. They sell packages with Wireless Routers for use in campgrounds and marinas, and some people operate as roving free WISPs in their RVs.

formatting link
"The DW6000 is the next-generation DIRECWAY system modem. It's a sleek new design that makes connecting to the Internet more streamlined by incorporating DIRECWAY software inside the DW6000 unit. There's no DIRECWAY software to load on your computer. No longer are there any software upgrades to download and manually install; the DW6000 automatically updates itself via the satellite. Also, the DW6000 modem integrates the transmit and receive components in one compact unit; the DW4000 has separate transmit and receive components stacked together.

The DW6000 provides an Ethernet connection to your computer or home network. The DW4000 requires a dedicated USB connection to your PC and does not support Macs. "

Come back later for advice on how to connect two houses that are 400 feet apart ;-) You can probably get away with running a 10BaseT wire that far, and put a switch or wireless router in the second house. It should be possible to connect wirelessly.

Reply to
dold

live out in BFE the only thing available is dial

somehow, and if so what would you need and would it be

if you can get the signal to the other home(one

how it would work is one home would have the dish.

need some type of wirless router that is capable of

feet. Does anyone have any ideas??

I set a wireless network at an RV park with a DirecWay DW6000 as the connection to the internet. I have 3 wireless access points repeating from 1 wireless router. There have been up to 20 computers signed on at a time.

You can check out some antenna combinations at this website:

formatting link

Reply to
Rick Ankrum

I've been looking into doing just that. So far, when asked, all but a couple of providers have said that their contracts specificly state tht their bandwidth can not be resold. Sharing and corporate use is allowed withing the limits of the contract or FAP. Since I'm hoping to be able to resell bandwidth (on a limited basis) provider options for satellite are few and much more expensive than residential or coprorate accounts. My 2 cents

we live out in BFE the only thing available is dial

somehow, and if so what would you need and would it be

that if you can get the signal to the other home(one

guessing how it would work is one home would have the dish.

would need some type of wirless router that is capable of

3 -400 feet. Does anyone have any ideas??
Reply to
ssadale#nospam#yahoo.com

Direcway sells packages specifically targeted to marinas and campgrounds.

formatting link
"DIRECWAY Wi-Fi Access is a simple, turnkey way to provide customers with high-speed Internet access. "

Reply to
dold

I looked into Direcway. Based on cost alone it looked like a good option. Once I got details and realized it's only a buffered 64k connection with lantency that would severly limit the ability to provide customer satisfaction I decided to look elsewhere. Not to mention a contract agreement that doesn't allow resale. My understanding is that their marina and campground offering basicly puts the service provider in a partnership position. The subscribers really are Direcway clients, not the network operators. No? Currently considering iDirect providers.

Reply to
ssadale#nospam#yahoo.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.