Port Forwarding question

Cool. One giant step forward for tech support, a rare thing these daze.

Groan. Few DSL modems support PPPoA. It's mostly used in combination modem plus routers. Many of those I previously listed will only do PPPoE or RFC2364(?) bridging. In general, it will need to be a modem that allows you to login and configure it. The Quest hardware list at:

formatting link
mostly DSL routers, not DSL modems. Argh.

I could only fine one modem that does PPPoA. Speedstream 5100b

formatting link
see the emulator at:
formatting link
that it must be the "b" version. The ones sold by SBC (usually with a red sticker on top) will not work. It has to have 5 LED's on the front panel instead of 4 LED's. Ebay shows 52 of these for sale. Also, read through the Quest FAQ at:
formatting link
has quite a bit on hardware issues.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Update 6/04 on my problem:

Got back excellent technical support info from D Q Technology on putting my EBay purchased Visionnet 200ER modem/(router) to factory defaults (from the proprietary Earthlink junk in it).

Instructions worked great, DQ had emailed the updated firmware and all went well. However, despite carefully comparing all my Qwest parameters in existing modem with the 200ER, I was unable to make it work with Qwest. Diagnostics kept reporting PPP handshake problem and I can't see where it differs from my Qwest modem PPP parameters. Oh well, I am giving up for the present on this Visionnet and going back to EBay with a list of Jeff's suggested modems (no router).

I checked the dslreports faq above on putting my Qwest Actiontec GT701 in bridging mode, but apparently that won't work if PPPoA is required, and it IS in my case.... sigh . . .

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Thanks. Am proceeding slowly, but steadily.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

My thanks to Jeff and Duane.

Given that I have more money than sense, (not much of either!), I purchased another Actiontec GT701-WG to "play with", so I wouldn't risk screwing up my primary internet access one. Actually pretty cheap on EBay.

The God's of the Internet have shined their light on me. I was easily able to put the Actiontec into bridging mode, because my ISP (QWest) supports PPPoE !

Consequently, all I have to deal with for various security settings is my Linksys WRT54G which interfaces between the Actiontec and all my clients. Works very well, and solved my Port Forwarding issues.

My thanks, again to you two - your help was immense.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.