Plugging a Wireless AP into a Wired Router?

Hi Everyone,

I've got a Linksys non-wireless router with a few PCs plugged into it sharing an ADSL connection. The router handles NAT, all that good stuff.

I'd like to plug some cat 5 Ethernet cable into the router and connect a wireless access point to the other end of the cable, about 75 meters away, to provide wireless coverage to a 3-4 laptops.

Is this as simple as it sounds? Or is there something I'm overlooking? Presumably the second access point will also use NAT, so we'll wind up with routable IP NAT NAT... Is that going to be a problem? Is there a specific product I could connect to the end of the cable that would address these issues?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
gglave
Loading thread data ...

I presume I need to use a crossover cable to do that?

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
gglave

Yes - Shouldn't post to usenet before I've had coffee... ONE AP, ONE wired router.

the router allocate it an IP address, it will then be transparent to the wireless client PCs acting as a wired - wireless bridge.

Thanks.

Reply to
gglave

Connect the cable from the wired router (one of the four LAN ports) to one of the four LAN ports on the wireless router - not the WAN port.

I've got a Linksys non-wireless router with a few PCs plugged into it sharing an ADSL connection. The router handles NAT, all that good stuff.

I'd like to plug some cat 5 Ethernet cable into the router and connect a wireless access point to the other end of the cable, about 75 meters away, to provide wireless coverage to a 3-4 laptops.

Is this as simple as it sounds? Or is there something I'm overlooking? Presumably the second access point will also use NAT, so we'll wind up with routable IP NAT NAT... Is that going to be a problem? Is there a specific product I could connect to the end of the cable that would address these issues?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
CF

Makes sense - By plugging into one of the LAN ports the wireless router/AP simply becomes and AP, as would happen when I plugged two hubs together using the LAN ports.

The only thing that confuses me is when I plug two hubs togther I have to use a cross-over cable (unless one of them happens to have an "uplink" port or similar). Why don't I have to use a crossover cable in this example?

Reply to
gglave

the *second* access point ?? thought there was only one.

The AP should turn off its DHCP server when it sees the DHCP server in the router allocate it an IP address, it will then be transparent to the wireless client PCs acting as a wired - wireless bridge.

double-natting would occur with a wireless router but not an AP.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

there is no wireless router, its an access point.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

its the wrong thing to do, your Access Point will expect to connect to a LAN port with a standard patch cable.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

if its an Access Point, as originally stated, it has one port that is in effect an uplink port and it expects to be patched into another LAN port with a straight through cable.

Its wired the same as a PC NIC, its built to plug in direct.

If its a router and you're using a LAN port then a crossover cable could be required if there isn't an uplink port, a switch or if the device doesn't support auto-sensing as some do.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

most APs are plugged into hubs or switches so there's plenty of opportunity to chat to the AP from a PC on the same LAN via another port of the hub/switch.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

My 2 cents worth.......... I just set up EXACTLY what you want to do yesterday. The person I did it for rushed out & got ADSL connected to their business without any planning involved. They had it installed to the office on the ground floor with only a 4 port ADSL modem (no wireless). They asked me about getting the other 3 ports to work upstairs in their living quarters. (teenage kids!) I bought a Motorola WA840G wireless access point & a 30 meter length of cable. There was no easy way to run the cable upstairs in this old building that has over a foot thick walls of stone so I positioned the wireless access point in the room under the living quarters which were up the other end of the building to the adsl modem. With this Motorola unit comes a "short" crossover cable to hook directly from comp to AP for set up purposes only. (entering MAC addressess & setting up you choice of security etc) Once setup you can then replace that cable or use it for connecting to the adsl modem or any other hub, switch etc you feel like. NOW to get to your main question.......... On this unit it DOES NOT MATTER if it is cross over or straight through. In fact most modern gear will auto detect type of cable now days. One "problem" I encountered was getting back into the setup if need be because the proper 192.168.40.1 doesn't work once the adsl has issued the new IP. You need to insert the disk & proceed until it says "changing network setup details" & then open your browser to login. Just a thought?????????? Might you one day need to connect to this AP by cable? Think about it? Won't cost much more to get a 4 port / wireless AP?? Regards.............

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
BruceM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.