Please help with Linksys problems

1) any proxy servers or auto scripts configured?

2) are you trying to configure it from wired or wireless?

3) even though you cannot get to the internal web page - can you still get to the internet?

4) what is the specific error message you get when trying to connect to the internal web page?

Reply to
riggor99999
Loading thread data ...

I ran into a Linksys WRT54G that I cannot access via web browser, following the instructions directly from the Linksys quick start guide. The default

192.168.1.1 will not open the page. It seems like the DHCP range (192.168.1.100-49, if I remember correctly) might be in conflict with the address of the router. This strikes me as tremendously unusual. I've defaulted the router and started over 2-3 times, but to no avail. What can I do to access the router's config page?

Secondly, on a related matter, a Windows 98 machine I was trying to connect to the internet throught the Linksys via a wireless NIC was behaving very strange. It pulled an IP address, 192.168.1.101; I could ping the gateway; and the Linksys utility showed connection to the "access point" with good signal strength and link quality, but I could hit internet only intermittently. Most of the time the Linksys utility would say something like, "Computer is connected to the access point, but no internet is available." The 98 machine was set to obtain everything auto, and ipconfig showed the settings, but it would not maintain internet. A laptop connected via ethernet cable to the Linksys maintained internet the whole time, with the IP address 192.168.1.100. If memory serves, I could not ping the laptop from the 98 machine.

If I've left out important info, I apologize, and I'll be glad to fill in the blanks.

thanks in advance for any insight provided.

jm

Reply to
JM

If your PC is getting a DHCP address, disconnect all other devices from the router and try changing your PC IP to a static IP of 192.168.1.2 and try again.

Which brand is your NIC in the Win98 machine? If it's a Linksys then the problem could be with the Linksys utility software. I've had a lot of trouble with the Linksys utility but when I used the XP wireless utility everything worked fine. My problems were similar to yours. Anyway, I don't know if Win98 comes with wireless utility software though.

Reply to
johnny

Are you trying it wired or wireless? Some only work from wired.

Reply to
Peter Pan

On 11/13/05 01:16 pm JM tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I'm using exactly the same settings. If I understand matters correctly, the DHCP range is the range of IP addresses that the router will allocate -- which *may* (I am not sure) also be the range of IP addresses that can access the WAN through that router. But I have no problem accessing a networked printer whose IP address is fixed at

192.168.1.240. And in fact all my clients have fixed IP addresses (but within the DHCP range), so that if I ping a specific IP address, I know which machine that is.

Don't forget to check the netmask. It should normally be 255.255.255.0.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

They are on the same network ...the range for the class C with a

255.255.255.0 subnet is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254.

The built in DHCP server is only using the 100 to 149 range to give out to DHCP clients - allowing you to use the lower numbers for static IP assignments. The default config allows for 50 clients. You could change the DHCP server range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 if you so wished.

Reply to
riggor99999

when setting static IP addresses using a Linksys router....setup as follows:

IP address 192.168.1.x Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1 DNS server 192.168.1.1

Reply to
riggor99999

I would focus on one machine at a time, one interface at a time. Let's focus on the wired laptop....

From the laptop - you can get to the internet but not to linksys router internal web page using http://192.168.1.1 ? That is very very odd. On the laptop - from a command prompt ... what does IPCONFIG /ALL showyou?

You are NOT using any VPN? any work / business settings? any proxy settings, etc? correct?

Reply to
riggor99999

I tried so many things that my memory may be failing me here, but I think I tried it both ways - from the wireless machine upstairs that had the problem, as well as the laptop downstairs that is connected via a cable.

jm

Reply to
JM

I'll try that. I'm going back on Monday.

The NIC in the 98 machine is a Linksys, and I am using the Linksys utility. To my knowledge, there is no wireless utility in 98. The odd part is the 98 machine had internet at first. I just became aware of this part; not sure how it might bear on the problem: Everthing seemed fine and I was getting ready to leave. Just before leaving, I ran AVG free. During the scan my client tried to hit internet, but could not. He then left everything alone until AVG completed it scan. The scan turned up 4 viruses, which AVG dealt with. After that I could not get on the internet. It seemed like a hell of a coincidence that I lost internet during the virus scan, but in my experience removing viruses does not cause a problem like this. But for good measure after the virus cleaning I uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC and Linksys utility. Still no internet, although I was getting an IP address and a good wireless signal. Is it possible that the virus took out a critical system file or something that didn't do its damage until the virus was deleted?

Reply to
JM

Not per se, but the Linksys router is connected to a Direcway satellite internet modem. I've connected to these before with no problems.

I tried both. I think it's odd that the gateway/router address is

192.168.1.1, while its DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149. That means it assigns its clients an address range to which itself does not belong. How can it then route a client's request back to the client?

From the laptop wired to the router, yes. However, the wireless 98 machine cannot get internet. The 98 machine can, however, ping the router.

Operation timed out while attempting to connect to . . .

jm

Reply to
JM

Not if the router's web server is broken. Usually, a reboot of the router will fix that; if not, then you've gotta problem.

Reply to
emtech

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.