PLEASE HELP! Linksys WRT54GS router SETUP DUAL UNIT

Please help me, i've never had trouble setting up one of these things before. its reset 192.168.1.1 complete reset. Then, i was trying to set up security for it, just configure it (new location) and, i realized that i was connected to my neighbors unit, the exact same model, no security. I thought it was weird because my wifi card only picked up one LINKSYS in the area, i'd have assumed it was mine, being right next to the unit. So i disconnected, and picked the linksys again, this time with full bars. assumption over-ruled, and i assumed it was mine, again. first thing i did was set up a wap password and copied the encoded passcode. this is important because i dont have it anymore. i finally checked the status after being frustrated with the thing, after i reset my linksys unit. then i restarted my computer. funny thing is, i can only 'see' the linksys unit with the password security setup, my neighbors. i assume they cant connect to internet either, but we aren't on good speaking terms. long story. my computer, xp, will not 'see' two internet networks named "linksys" - it just sees one. i assume my unit is "extending" my neighbor's network, and i can't get it to configure seperately. it can see the security- enabled one, that i cant' connect to or configure, but i've already reset my unit, also named linksys, which it wont see or try to connect to. Is there something i can do with the mac address or something on the unit to connect to it and configure it separately from my neighbor's linksys network????

thank you anyone

Reply to
rchicagonewyorkstlouisladallas
Loading thread data ...

Change the ESSID for your router.

Reply to
Larry Finger

Got an ethernet card in your computer? If so, use a cable.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.