ping Request timed out between wireless laptops

My home network is configured with the Linksys WKPC54G wireless router and adaptor kit. I also have a DELL laptop that has a built-in PCI mini wireless card. All the machines and devices are working fine except for the issue of pinging the laptops. The machine with the Linksys adaptor is

192.168.1.102 and the DELL is 192.168.1.103. It doesn't matter which wireless machine I sit at but when I execute a ping to either of them from the other I receive "Request timed out". If I wait about 30 seconds and try again I don't. Is this the result of some signal interference? What would cause the time outs and then they go away and other when pinging from a wireless laptop to a wireless laptop? d
Reply to
news
Loading thread data ...

I hate to respond to my own post but its to relay more information that I have discovered while doing more investigation of the problem. What I now see is that after turning off encryption (which I tried both WEP and WPA), the packet loss and time outs went away. No more packet loss between the two wireless laptops. Also, my network consist of two routers but only one is the configured gateway while the other is just performing switch duties. In the original configuration (while having the time outs) the wireless router was the gateway and the wired router was the switch. I have since flipped the two around. The wireless router is now the switch and the wired router is the gateway. In this setup I'm no longer seeing the packet loss and time outs. Should this matter?

d
Reply to
news

Please get much more specific with your network configurations (both versions). Include details on model #s of both routers, etc....

Thanks, Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

The Linksys BEFSR41 and WRK54G.

d
Reply to
news

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.