ping: Jeff .: the WSJ looks at providing WiFi in retail stores...

formatting link

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

Chuckle. Brilliant advice from Bain Global IT. It reads like shopping mall wi-fi is somehow akin to a mysterious black art requiring secret knowledge or the involvement of Bain Global IT.

One would think that after about 15 years of mass wi-fi deployments (McDonalds, Starbucks, every coffee shop in town, various municipal Wi-Fi systems, airports, sports centers, skools, etc) those in the industry could figure out how it's done, but I guess not. Interestingly, the one's I've seen fail are those where nobody bothered to do a site survey and where management tweaks the calculations to make it looks easier or better.

Thanks much...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I find Starbucks to be the most reliable wifi. I never have issues with it. Peets sometimes doesn't work at all, or will indicate you didn't connect when you actually did.

Muni wifi seems to be on the wane. I don't see that Milpitas wifi anymore. I need to check if Pleasanton still has it downtown.

One thing I find annoying is these retails stores don't have anyone remotely geeky to discuss wifi problems. Nobody knows anything about the wifi. They don't even boot it.

For the retail stores, I'm sure they are logging MACs of the users. Maybe tracking them from zone to zone. Since I have Peets and Starbucks in my quick connection file, each company knows I frequent their competition.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.