Performance/thruput in mixed mode

What is the expected hit to performance in b/g mixed mode vs g only?

Currently, there's four workstations all wirelessly connected thru a Linksys WRT54G. Two of the workstations are g, two are b. The two b workstations are using a Linksys b adapter. The other two workstations are using Linkskey g adapters. [FWIW, I thought I was getting Linksys g adapters]

Thanks

Reply to
fj
Loading thread data ...

I finally get to use the FAQ. Neato. Max theoretical speeds:

formatting link
only is 24.4Mbits/sec max.

802.11b/g mixed is 14.4Mbits/sec max.

That's nice. Any particular client model numbers? So what speeds are you getting with each mode?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
802.11g only is 24.4Mbits/sec max.

I'm not worried about the actual performance - I'm just trying to understand if there is a performance hit in mixed mode networks vs pure g mode. So, will the g mode adapters run slower in a mixed mode network than if they are in a g only network?

Reply to
fj

formatting link
> 802.11g only is 24.4Mbits/sec max.

Yes. What happens is that the access point switches between "g" mode and listens for any "b" packets every once in while. If it hears just one "b" packet, it will time slice between "g" and "b", even if there is no "b" traffic (i.e. traffic from the neighbors). The exact amount of time that the access point listens for "b" clients varies by implimentation, but it's substantial (about 40%). While the access point is listening for "b" traffic, all "g" traffic just stops.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
>> 802.11g only is 24.4Mbits/sec max.

Got it. Thanks!

Reply to
fj

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.