pcmcia with external antenna

Hello. I'm looking for a pcmcia card 802.11G+ (108Mbs/s) with possibility to connect an external antenna. The best card for me should be with 300mW.

Does it exist ?

(Sorry for my bad english)

Mams

Reply to
Mams
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps you don't use the word "pcmcia" but rather use "cardbus" !? I found a cardbus with possibility to connect an eternal antenna but only with 54Mb/s speed.

Please, help me to find a cardbus with a connector for external antenna with speed 108Mb/s.

Mams

"Mams" a écrit dans le message de news:

41d3464d$0$15027$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...
Reply to
Mams

no idea about antenna but what range you looking for, i have a pre-n network(belkin) and i get excellent signal through to brick walls and

30ft.I've not tested it further yet. I use wpa encryption and had no signal problems at all so far.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

But the Belkin Pre N apparently won't allow an external antenna.... correct me if I am wrong.

Reply to
omni

You don't say what type of router you have. There is *NO* standard for 108, only for 54... To do 108, it is a special feature that ONLY works between same cards/wap/routers, and is manufacturer specific. IE If you have a dlink router set for 108, other manufacturers cards/and built in wireless in most computers, won't work at 108 with it (only 54 max). While there are many manufacturers that make pcmcia/cardbus cards with external antenna adapters, they may not work with the wap/router you have and want 108 connections too.

Reply to
Peter Pan

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

You're rigth !. The Belkin Pre N haven't got connection for an external antenna.

No other help ?

Reply to
Mams

The ones I've been using at work, and may be available near you (they are worlwide, but I have no idea what they can sell legally/where, they do have

300mw stuff, but you may have to get someone to buy it and mail it to you, i'd offer but I am on vacation in a motel in Las Vegas NV) are the smc cards, at
formatting link
important note, log in as a business user rather than a home user (much bigger and better selection). They have both pci and pcmcia/cardbus, regular and high-power, etc They also have a wide range of antennas.. Omni to directional.

Just an aside, while I personally used the High power PCMCIA card, and the SMCANT-6, in certain circumstances (like now) I use the external USB device (not a huge loss from long cable runs like having the antenna and cable) Ex: At work, I have a metal shell truck with the USB device mounted in a weatherproof box on the roof (about 12 FT in the air).. Nowadays I use the high power card in the laptop when running around, and in the truck, I just plug the usb connector in. Don't know your exact situation, but the USB also allows an external antenna, at home I have the USB device in the attic and a highly directional antenna on the roof aimed at my workplace 7.5 miles away (have high speed cable there).

Just out of curiosity, what type of wap/router do you use? Don't know if it is legal by you, but heres a link for modifying certain AP's to 251 mw, rather than the puny 28.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks for your answer. I use multiple routers, at home, at office and at office's customers. I know now i can't use 108Mb/s every where, so i'll buy a 54Mb/s. Which do you advise ? I need the most powerful possible. In France it's limited to 100mW but i'd like a 300mW or 200mW I think i can buy it in US. And, which omnidirectional antenna and directional do you advise ?

Mams

Reply to
Mams

Well, there are several cardbus cards (that take external antennas) From the first page:

SMC2336W-AG EZ-StreamT Universal Wireless Cardbus Adapter

2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11a/g Universal Wireless Cardbus Adapter

Enlarged picture Thanks for your answer.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks for your answer.

I've got a new choice. If I want to buy a card with new technologie, ( I saw some cardbus with

802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g) I know I can't found it with external antenna because of 2 differents frequencys. So now I must choose between 802.11b/g cardbus with external antenna (Like Buffallo or Orinoco - I didn't find SMC cardbus with external antenna) or 802.11a/b/g without external antenna.

The choice is once again difficult.

"Peter Pan" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
Mams

If I can't find what I really want now, I'll wait for it ! I don't want to regret my purchase I hope it come early !

Thanks once again.

"Peter Pan" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
Mams

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.