PCMCIA with external antenna

Anyone know which pcmcia cards can use external antenna's ? I need to try and get a better signal at my laptop docking station and can't add a pci card to it.

Thanks

Reply to
Raceman
Loading thread data ...

The Proxim Orinoco 8470 has an proprietry external antenna connector. They also do the "range entender" antenna.

formatting link
Cheers.

Reply to
Emlynfluff

Buffalo WLICBG54S

But you are better off with a USB or Ethernet wireless access point, where you can position the unit for best transmission/reception. There are significant losses in external antennas, and improvements are minimal, especially with a long cable.

Reply to
SMS

Instead you could attach a wireless device with a better antenna to USB. Some time ago I experimented very succesfully with a Sitecom WL-012 Wireless Network USB Adapter.

formatting link
There must be many similar (11b and g) device available.

With the wireless USB adapter you can establish a connection with any

802.11b compatible wireless network. The USB adapter is plugged into a PC or notebook having a free USB port. The wireless USB adapter can communicate directly with another wireless network card in an ad hoc network or it is hooked into a wireless network featuring an access point. If in a wireless network use is made of several access points, this wireless USB adapter automatically chooses the strongest signal (roaming).

C> Anyone know which pcmcia cards can use external antenna's ? I need to

Reply to
Eric P.

I don't think you meant to say "USB or Ethernet wireless access point" What you want is a USB or Ethernet Bridge to connect to the docking station. There are lots out there, just depends what you want to spend.

If you still want a card Senao makes a strong one with an external antenna connector. Check ebay.

Reply to
DS

Yes, I should have said USB adapter or wireless Ethernet converter.

Reply to
SMS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.