PC Screen Output to TV via Wifi

This would be through any number of wireless media players such as the D-Link MediaLounge DSM-320 or Netgear MP101. Sending the signal *directly to the TV over wireless requires a codec, which is exactly what those devices are.

Reply to
JB
Loading thread data ...

"Carl Read" wrote in news:d1eeo5$qb9$1 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

not a bad idea...

i'm thinking you'll need some pricey (sorta) hardware though

Reply to
Smowk

Yeah, I've done a lot of remote desktop testing and while the idea sounds plausible, the reality is that, even with 802.11g and fast computers, there's no hardware codec involved so you will have problems with stuttering video, especially if you try playing any high bitrate audio or HD content. As I have been learning with Linux lately, sometimes things are free for a reason.

Reply to
JB

Been there, done that, it is both easy and cheap. B will do still video, and g will do live video. Biggest hassle is more than one device, each has to have a "codec" for decompressing the image.

for the TV end, check out the MediaMVP

formatting link
- MediaMVP: the coolest video product on the Planet! Listen to and watch digital music, pictures and videos on your TV set, from your PC over your home Ethernet LAN! Now available for just $99.99!

For the "get stuff on the network in the first place" they have a variety of products that do video/dvd's/sat/screen/tv tuners/HDTV stuff etc (find one of the suitable devices at

formatting link
(various devices, anywhere from $100 to $400, depending on the options selected)

Just an aside, I use laptops for presentations, and the MediaMVP connects my projection TV to the network, and displays the image on a 88" picture. The whole idea of networks is to let other people at the presentation also see it on their laptops (and also optionally record the video for later playback after I leave). The fun part about this setup, is that I get to use it at home between presentations... (ie big screen surround sound in the living room, and then on the small screen when I get tired and go to bed).

Reply to
Peter Pan

Interesting problem. If you want to do it with easily found stuff (as opposed to expensive purpose-built stuff), here is how I would do it:

1. hook up a computer to your TV such that the computer output is displayed on your TV. Put this computer on your WiFi network. Call this computer the TVC (TV Computer).
  2. run UltraVNC viewer software on the TVC.
  3. run UltraVNC server software on your laptop.
  4. (Briefly) use the TVC to establish a VNC connection to the laptop, in shared mode (so both the TVC and the the laptop simultaneously control the laptop).
  5. Put the UltraVNC viewer on the TVC into "full screen" mode.
  6. Now as you use the laptop, the TVC will show you what is happening on the laptop.

You can even modify step 4 so that you don't have to briefly use the TVC (assuming you have XP on both the TVC and laptop) at all. Instead, run Remote Desktop on the TVC and then establish a Remote Desktop connection using the laptop to remote desktop to the TVC. Use the remote desktop to establish the VNC connection to the laptop, then drop the Remote Desktop connection.

Hope you have a good laptop and a decent TVC, because although this will work, fast processors with lots of RAM and 802.11g will make it less painful than it probably will be otherwise.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Haynes

Hi,

Can anyone help me.

I have a wifi network set up at home. I wish to send the video and sound output of my wireless laptop to my TV. My TV has inputs for a direct connection of a PC.

Thanks,

Carl Read.

Reply to
Carl Read

It's not cheap but you might consider this:

"The Avocent LongView® Wireless extender is the world's first wireless keyboard, video and mouse (KVM) extender."

formatting link

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

"Carl Read" wrote in news:d1eeo5$qb9$1 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Sony has such a device... but it's only for a small 12" LCD screen... and it costs ~1000.00+!

formatting link

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Lucas Tam wrote in news:Xns961DABB11B6BEnntprogerscom@127.0.0.1:

Oops, this goes the other way, from a TV to a laptop/wireless device :)

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.