Password protecting a wireless connection

Hi

I've just bought a Linksys WAG54G wireless ADSL gateway for use with my iMac G5.

Everything is working fine, it all connects ok but now I want to password protect the connection so that other machines can't piggyback on my bandwidth uninvited (mean aren't I). However, I don't understand the configration options on the gateway and the documentation is very poor in this respect.

According to the gateway, I have the options of WPA Pre-shared key, WPA Radius, Radius and WEP. I have no idea which to choose, nor do I know the corresponding wireless security option on my iMac's AirPort settings (although one is WEP - I tried that but it didn't work).

Does anyone know how to set this up using this gateway and an iMac, or can anyone point me to some documentation?

Cheers,

Mark

Reply to
mark.norgate
Loading thread data ...

Sorry to keep posting this (other threads) but I still do not have a solution.

My Belkin setup (Wireless Router to desktop - Wireless Card in 2nd desktop - Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG card in laptop) works wonderfully in unsecure mode. As soon as I secure the network either one of the 3 PC's will at any time (very random, could work for days then!!......) not connect and stop in 'aquiring network address' mode forever. Tried changing channels, resetting idle time to 0, using 11g only, no known interference (microwaves, mobile phones etc) still problems (solved by re-setting the network and starting over. Firmware is the latest available. I am lucky that I live remotely and have little possibility of anyone 'hacking' in ............ I am just intrigued as to why the flaming thing will not work properly secured, regardless of method used (WEP-PSK or WPA)

AAAAAAAAaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ................

;-)

Reply to
Jack Ouzzi

I'm not familiar with the iMAC computer, but I am familiar with wireless networking. The rule of thumb is this: Whatever encryption method you decide to use, both your wireless router or Access Point AND wireless client must support that particular encryption method. For instance: In order for your wireless device to associate with your wireless router/AP using WPA-PSK, both devices must be support WPA-PSK. Now, for your question: Unless you have a radius server, you will not be using WPA (radius). Most home and small office users, assuming your devices have the capabilities, use WPA-PSK. You may or may not see TKIP and AES associated with WPA-PSK. TKIP and AES are ciphers with AES being the strongest. If both your devices support WPA-PSK, whether it be TKIP or AES cipher, use it. The passphrase you enter must be EXACTLY the same on both the AP and the client in order for them to communicate with each other. It is recommended that you use and long, nonsense passphrase for greater security. An example is:

p8Y38LdIzIG3_AUqzQTwLfMyL2TSWAqgKlh9izvmI9DrE2EMGTb7F3Y2sNxS4MG

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Thanks for all of your responses, I'll have a bash tonight. I think I got it working with the WPA Pre-shared key last night, but I'm not sure because the mac doesn't indicate if the connection is secure or not.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
mark.norgate

Some worthless scrag posted this on another group, will answer some of your questions:

formatting link

Reply to
Rôgêr

Yeap, that's my situation. Thanks Neil. I'm only using a short key at the moment, I'll change it for a much longer one tonight.

Mark

Reply to
mark.norgate

Use WPA Pre-shared Key.

You'll get better responses to Mac-specific questions in one of the Macintosh newsgroups, such as comp.sys.mac.comm.

Reply to
Neill Massello

My router is the Linksys WAG54G, and I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.1. As for assigning static IP addresses, I'm not sure how to do that, nor am I sure the router supports it. I do know the router allows you to block/accept MAC addresses (if that's the right terminology; network card addresses I think).

I'm assuming the Windows wireless zero config applies only to Windows machines, not to Macs. I just plug in the ethernet or select the wireless network from the menu and it does everything automatically. Very neat, I'm very impressed with it (only been a mac convert for a couple of days).

Mark

Reply to
mark.norgate

If you're connected -- the AirPort menu icon has black bars and you can use the network -- and the Linksys is set for WPA, you're secure.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Sorry Doug, was this reply for me?? Unfortunately I can only access newsgroups through Google Groups and sometimes 'bits' are missing.

Thanks

Jack ;-)

Reply to
Jack Ouzzi

Assign each of your PCs a static IP address and, if your router allows it, reserved the assigned IP addresses in the router's menu. That "should" solve your problem. By the way, what is your router's model number? OS? Are you using the windows wireless zero config or another wireless configuration app?

Reply to
Doug Jamal
- -

-Doug Jamal wrote:

-> Assign each of your PCs a static IP address and, if your router allows it,

-> reserved the assigned IP addresses in the router's menu. That "should" solve

-> your problem. By the way, what is your router's model number? OS? Are you

-> using the windows wireless zero config or another wireless configuration

-> app?

->

- Sorry Doug, was this reply for me?? Unfortunately I can only access

-newsgroups through Google Groups and sometimes 'bits' are missing.

-

-Thanks

-

-Jack ;-)

My apologies, Jack. My reply was intended for, if I'm not mistaken, Mark. As for you only accessing newsgroups via Google groups, is that by choice or restriction? There are several apps out there that can assist you...i.e., X-News, Free Agent, Newsrover, etc. ;) Take care, man. Just Me, D

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Restriction ............. my ISP does not run any news servers, but at =A314.99 per month for 512k unlimited broadband I'm not shouting!! Would your reply to Mark work for me??

Reply to
Jack Ouzzi

Or if you have access to a Windows computer with the .Net framework installed you could use my freeware random key generator program

formatting link
The keys don't get any more nonsense than that!

John Steele

Reply to
John Steele

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.