Passphase/passkey config.

I have a laptop running Ubuntu Fiesty, and has been working well, but with some only intermittent issues. I have a Linksys WRT54g wireless router that I have not configured for security (living in a sparse area). I can connect to the router, but it disconnects on occasion, and then I receive requests for a Passphrase, and then a passkey, neither of which I have configured. Are there default settings for these values that I can change later?

I am new to wireless, and it works great. Would love to have it running all of the time, though!

Thanks, and I can supply any information that may be needed to get this configured properly!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
plantiful
Loading thread data ...

Let me guess... Is the SSID of your unconfigured WRT54G "linksys"? If so, then you're probably connecting to some other wireless router also with the name of "linksys". It's also possible that you have Ubuntu setup to connect to any available network, so the actually SSID doesn't matter.

The way it works is that your router determines the type of encryption. Your Ubuntu client determines what type of encryption is being offered, and supplies the matching dialog box. If your Ubuntu client is asking for a pass phrase, then some wireless router is advertising that it needs one. Since that's not yours, it must be someone elses.

Set the SSID to something you can recognize. Do *NOT* hide the SSID by disabling the SSID broadcast. Since your disconnects may be due to interference, change your router channel number from the default ch6, to either ch1 or ch11. Set your WRT54G to WPA or WPA2 encryption and setup a suitably cryptic pass phrase. Check your Ubuntu client to go to your SSID first.

That reminds me. You might want to check the Linksys web pile to see if there are any firmware updates to your router. If you're familiar with Linux, you might wanna run Linux on your WRT54G (only if it's a v1thru v4 hardware version).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Nice catch. I have a Ubuntu box doing exactly the same thing. It's a bug in Network Manager, me thinks. It keeps connecting me to my neighbors signal (open), and I have to keep manually disconnecting it and having it connect to mine. Even though mine is stronger, it takes the first one it sees, apparently. Otherwise, it's the only Linux applet that works with my USB adapterss (Zydas, and Ralink )

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

On 2007-09-03, Mountain Mike^^ intrigued me by typing:

My Ubuntu machine does not and have not done any of those things. Lucky me, huh? I have approximately 6 or 7 detectable WAPs in my neighborhood and that excludes my own. Ubuntu detected them all then waited for me to manually connect to one of them. Yes, that was the case right after install. After I connected to my own AP (Ubuntu automatically detected my WPA2 status), Ubuntu displayed a keyring for me to password protect my settings. Not once has Ubuntu attempted to connect to any other AP except my own and I had performed no profile type configuration. I'm using Feisty Fawn (7.04), of course. In the meantime, my assessment of your situation is the same as Mr. Liebermann's. By the way, what version of Ubuntu are you using?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.