ParkerVision USB1500 troubles

After using the ParkerVision USB1500 on two different computers, I'm getting the impression they never tested their driver/utility on XP SP2....

- Both machines can get stuck in this in-between mess where the ParkerVision utility insists that Windows Wireless Zero Configuration is in control of the adapter, but on the other hand Windows Zero Config says it doesn't have control of the adapter so nothing works... Their published docs for resolving the conflict are not up to date with XP SP2 wireless screen dialogs....

- The machine can reboot and think there is no USB1500 present when in fact it is. Unplugging and replugging the USB cable re-detects the device and the ParkerVision utility then sees it... Weird.

- When the ParkerVision utility does work, it scans and sees no wireless networks available (when in fact I have one or two APs within feet of the machine) Ugh.

Their whole software setup seems just plain flaky.

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

Well thanks to the speedy ParkerVision support email response (on a Sunday, imagine that!) it turns out I had two problems - first a generic "IEEE802.11" wireless driver was installed instead of the proper "ZD1201" Zydas driver. Fixed that. Next it turns out the USB1500 couldn't see any wireless networks because it couldn't get enough power from the USB port on the CPU. Once I unplugged my Adaptec VideOH USB video capture, the SSIDs of the nearby wireless APs popped on the screen.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.