Parabolic reflector for Wi-Fi?

For a parabola to work at maximum theoretical gain (based on aperture size and feed efficiency), you have to be within about 1/10th of a wavelength accuracy. That's about +/- 1.25cm. You can build it much sloppier, but the achievable gain and pattern will suffer.

The feed is also critical as you don't want too wide a pattern resulting in "overspray" which reduces xmit gain, or too small a pattern that illuminates only part of the dish, resulting in low receive gain. I short, you need to match the feed type with the f/D ratio of the dish.

The best source of dish and feed info is at:

formatting link
If you're gonna grind your own antennas, I strongly suggest you get a modeling program. I suggest 4NEC2 ver 5.5.0 from:
formatting link
Drivel: If you just wanna improve the signal in very roughly one direction, just chop a 5gal poly-something food bucket in half, coat half the inside with aluminium foil, dump your access point on the bottom, and you have an instant hemispherical reflector. Not even close to ideal, but still useful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I've been looking to make a linear parabolic reflector for Wi-Fi, I've found quite a few sources, such as:

formatting link
formatting link
Those I've found all give templates for a parabola, but without any explanation as to why they have chosen that *particular* shaped parabola. As a result, the drawings are a bit "sketchy".

I'd like to know a bit more theory, and the pros and cons of various parabolic shapes.

Reply to
Nigel M

Simple A4 card covered in foil and bent in the middle at 60 deg. does a good job. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Nigel

I would imagine the reflections of the signal follow the rules of optics if you look up optics on how to focus a light bulb, I would think that's how its done but its not necessary a parabolic reflector just convex in one plane ( half a tube) bear in mind light reflects off a mirror at the same angle as it hits form this you could work out what shape is ideal, but I dont think its that critical and its not rocket science.

Please don't get stroppy but who is Occam, by the way?

MikeS

Reply to
MikeS

See:

Reply to
Nigel M

Reply to
MikeS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.