PADI Packet Flood - Bridged Networks

Here's the situation that I am looking for help with.

We have been and WISP for a couple years, using internal LAN IP addresses in the 192.168.XXX.XXX realm. We've recently had many requests for businesses wanting public IP addresses. So I set up a CentOS linux Bridge: one ethernet card in the internal network, the other on the public network switch. Both network cards do not have an IP address in them, but the bridge has a public IP so that I can SSH into the box to monitor any problems.

It had been working great for a while, until we started having a problem. Seemingly at random, the network performance just drops. When I run a tcpdump, it is flooded with hundreds of PPPoE PADI requests:

"PPPoE PADI [Service-Name] [Host-Uniq "ATWPPPOE"] [EOL]" Over and over again.

The only way to get the network up and running again is to "ifconfig bridge-name down" then "ifconfig bridge-name up". I can't sit and monitor this all day and want to find a way around it. And if I do this remotely, it knocks my bridge IP address out and I have to go to location and reset it.

Any of the following work-around will do:

-filtering these packets so they stop flooding my network (with iptables or something similar)

-responding to these packets in such a way as to stop them from attempting to connect over and over

-finding the source of these packets and stopping whatever it is from connecting

-finding the source of these packets and smacking whomever is responsible upside the head

Any other advise or suggestion is welcome.

Reply to
support
Loading thread data ...

I've got a suggestion that's not on your list. I see this complaint all too often from WISPs.

Segment your network.

I would recommend, highly, taking all business connections and creating an individual VLAN/Subnet for those connections. This will keep broadcasts from flooding your network, and taking everything down. At most, you'll take a segment of the network down, but not the whole thing.

If you want help, please feel free to call.

Chris Hutchison,CEO NetSteady

1-866-678-WIFI
Reply to
NetSteady

Thanks, I will suggest this to my bosses. Anyway I finally figured out how to eliminate the issue. I set up ebtables on my bridge from

formatting link
and used their "Simple Example" to get it working. Since then, I've tweaked it to better suit our needs. Other than that, we actually have decided to use an altogether different frequency for our business customers, and just charge extra for residential customers want public IP addresses.

Reply to
support

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.