Outside Antenna for Navini Ripwave

I'm using a Navini Ripwave broadband wireless modem through the Ntelos network. I'm just on the edge of coverage from the tower and do not get good reception all the time. The modem operates on 2.4 Ghz band. Does anyone know where I can get an out side antenna or make suggestions. Thanks. William

Reply to
William
Loading thread data ...

"William" hath wroth:

This one? |

formatting link
so, it uses an *OPTIONAL* MCX connector on the wireless modem. Purchase a matching MCX to N pigtail, and then attach whatever external antenna is handy. I can't recommend a specific antenna because I don't know anything about your requirements.

formatting link
If your modem doesn't have the optional connector, then make a big parabolic or corner reflector and put the radio at the focus.
formatting link
Incidentally, your "poor" reception may be due to reflections. Move the modem and see if it improves.

It may also be due to interference from other 2.4GHz systems.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
If so, it uses an *OPTIONAL* MCX connector on the wireless modem.

Thanks Jeff That's the one. Where would I get a MCX to N pigtail? Would a parabolic or corner reflector do just as well? I think it's my location as to the tower because when I first called NTELOS they said it might not work. It did fine until the leaves came on the trees. I still get a signal most of the time. I have installed CB antennas and know the lead in wire has to be electrically correct. Don't know much at the 2.4 Ghz frequency. As to my requirments, what do you need to know? William

Reply to
William

"William" hath wroth:

formatting link
That's the one.

Are you sure it has an antenna connector? Some models do not.

formatting link
more found with Google and on eBay. Make sure it's a male MCX connector.

What you're looking for is strictly gain. The more gain the better. It doesn't really matter what type of antenna, as long as it has gain. However, the higher that gain, the narrower the beamwidth. That means that mounting stability is critical. A 24dBi dish antenna has about a

7 degree beamwidth, which means it must be aimed to within about +/- 2 degrees. Such dishes are also huge.

If it sorta works, you have a chance. It's very difficult to determine how much additional gain is necessary due to folliage attenuation. My guess(tm) is that it's not going to require much gain. Better too much than not enough. I would recommend a panel antenna with about 12-15dBi gain.

formatting link
of other 2.4GHz antennas available via Google and eBay.

No, this is not a CB co-phase harness. The coax cable can be any length and is not tuned. However, be advised that at 2.4GHz coax cable is very lossy. Long coax cable runs are not recommended. The tiny coax used in the pigtail is fine for short runs, but anything longer than about 3 meters will need heavier (larger diamter) coax, such as LMR-240 or LMR-400.

Do everything you can to get the best line of sight with the tower. That might include doing some tree trimming. If that's not possible, try to raise your antenna as high as possible in order to get the best clearance. Sometimes, you can go *UNDER* the trees between the trunks. Difficult to tell from here.

There's not much that can be calculated. You already have proven that you have good connectivity without the leaves on the trees. Therefore, you need only as much gain as necessary to "burn" your way through the trees. I would need to know the nature of the trees to calculate the effects. If you're going through a thick forest, you wouldn't have any signal to work with, so I assume that the trees are not particularly thick. Almost any amount of antenna gain should be enough to compensate for the folliage losses.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
> That's the one.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Lots more found with Google and on eBay.

Thanks Jeff You certainly are knowledgeable. You have given me some good information. The modem antenna is detachable. I'm only familer with BNC and other coaxale connectors. I thought since the modem connector was neither of these it was MCX. Maybe I can check localy because I cannot tell by looking at the pictures on the sites you suggested. I did notice even when I detached the modem antenna there was little change in signal strength. I can't see the tower from my house and there are quit a few trees as well as a river between me and the tower. Thanks for all your help. I might have some more questions. William

Reply to
William

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.