Out of a gully - 250' Horizontal 30' vertical thru a mobile home

--- ----------------- |B |55' mobile home| | ---|---------------|-------|--- / / /

--- / A| / | /

--- / | /

--|---------

Horizontal distance from A to B is about 250 feet. Vertical distance from A to B is about 20-30 feet. Mobile home with metal siding is between A and B which is not on my land. Not to scale.

I want to share an Internet connection at A and B. One of them will be connected to the Internet via DSL or other.

I tested feasibility by connecting A1 (MSWindowsXP) to dialup, configured it to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). A1 connected to A2 (D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router) via Ethernet cable. Configured A2 by changing its IP address and two other parameters to something that made the test work. B1 (MSWindows Notebook) with B2 (D-Link DWA-142 Rangebooster N USB Adapter). A2 and B2 were outdoors.

B1 was able to locate 2 to 4 different signals including one with the SSID of A2. I was able to access a web page on the Internet, but the signal varied according to the software on MSWindows and was not there at other times. Since A2 and B2 were outside (the devices)I need to go for version 2. First I will return the version 1 hardware to Fry's.

Since B will have a Notebook, it would be convenient to have it use a USB wireless for its connection. So a possible solution might be some kind of additional wireless device that would be needed to take the signal from the high point of B with an outdoor antenna. Then at A, use a similar technique to take the wireless signal from B and put into the home at A with a couple of PCs running Linux and/or MSWindows with wireless adapters, one of which would connect via DSL to the Internet.

Any feedback?

Reply to
C.W.Holeman II
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.