OT Microwave frequency question

Does anyone know what microwave frequency was used by the Premier Channel in the mid 1980's to broadcast HBO in the SF Bay Area?

The reason I need the info is because I can obtain some of these old microwave dishes and want to try them on WI-FI if the frequency is OK.

Please reply if you have info, TIA

Reply to
©®©
Loading thread data ...

The gain of the dish is going to be proportional to the size and freq that it's used with.

A 3' would work just as a 30' dish would except the gain and directivity of the 30' dish would be more. Now there are things like feed point distance and inpedence that would also play into the efficency of the dish but what it all comes down to is how you feed it and if you plan on using the horn that's on the dish or build your own.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner
©®©@®.©®© hath wroth:

I thought it was earlier than that.

My guess(tm) is that they used the MMDS frequencies from 2.5 to

2.7GHz. There was also a band at 2.1GHz for TV distribution. As I vaguely recall, the feed had an RF amplifier and downconverter inside, which probably will need to be "converted" to 2.4GHz to work. Something like this article: |
formatting link
|
formatting link
Also, please note that the maximum gain from a 0.6 meter diameter dish antenna is about: gain = 9.87 * Dia^2 / wavelength^2 * (feed efficiency) gain = 9.87 * 600mm^2 / 125mm^2 * 0.4 gain = 91 dBi = 10 log(91) = 19.5dBi The 40% efficiency (that's the 0.4) is probably optimistic. I don't know the exact size of the STV dish, but I suspect it's close.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.