ORiNOCO and XP SP2

OK, so I've got some issues with my laptop. I have a MPC T1000 laptop with and ORiNOCO wireless card. I've been using my laptop as a main computer using ethernet but I moved and figured it would be easier to switch to wireless ... NO. So, I am running XP Pro with SP2 and I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to connect to my AP. When I try to connect to an AP I get the message "The network may be out of range or no longer available" and this is not just my network it's other networks in the area. But the wierd thing is ... some networks let me connect to them, I obviously don't have their WEP key but if I did I would be able to connect. Also, I have WEP key on the router and when I had SP1 I couldn't connect to it because of the WEP key not being 5 or 13 ASCII characters. Is there anyway to fix this???!???!??

Reply to
mae439
Loading thread data ...

Here's a link to my specs:

formatting link
I'm using a Motorola SBG900 Wireless Router.

I also found some info through the client manager:

Driver - NDIS 5 Miniport Driver Version 7.42

Card - Agere Systems Gold Card Version 5.0

Hope this helps someone help me.

Mike

Reply to
mae439

On 1 Dec 2006 17:38:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

1. See wikis below for lots of useful info.
  2. Set a unique SSID in your wireless router.
  3. Turn off all security for troubleshooting.
  4. When you get it working, use WPA, not WEP.
Reply to
John Navas

Orinoco Silver or Gold cards do not support WPA.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:39:42 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

Then replace it with one that does. Seriously. WEP is essentially worthless, and good cards with WPA support are cheap.

Reply to
John Navas

Crap, thanks for the bad news guys. But seriously thanks for telling me that because I would have pulled all of my hair out if I didn't figure something out.

Mike

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
mae439

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.