Opinions on Aruba A-105 WAP?

I work at a large university in a mixed use building (classrooms, labs, offices). Our current Enterasys RoamAbout-based B/G wireless system is overwhelmed when classes are in session. It's no wonder since there's only perhaps 8 WAPs for the entire building and probably 500 students and 200 office workers with smartphones, laptops, and few rogue WAPs and whatever else competing for wireless access.

Try to get a connection with your laptop - forget it. If you're very lucky and get one, hurry up and get what you need fast 'cuz you'll get dropped after a few minutes. Oh, did I say fast? Sorry, it'll take 1-2 minutes just to get to Google's homepage.

Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, our IT people are upgrading the entire building to Aruba A-105 WAPs. On my low occupancy floor alone I see 5 WAPs installed (we have one RoamAbout now).

Does anyone have an opinion on how well the Aruba A-105 will operate in this kind of high density, high use environment?

Lance

Reply to
Lance
Loading thread data ...

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Lance chose the tried and tested strategy of:

The model of access point barely matters if they're badly sited. However, you're adding a whole load more channels by using those A + G APs, so once those are installed, I predict a sudden surge in popularity of A-band USB sticks :-)

Reply to
alexd

alexd wrote the following on 6/24/2010 13:44:

Good thought alexd, connectivity is bound to be better down in the A-band.

Thanks for your comments.

Lance

Reply to
Lance

Or *up* in the A band, even.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.