Opening Belkin wireless case...

Hello group,

First of all, apologies if this is the wrong group for this message - it did seem the *most* appropriate one.

I have a Belkin wireless router that died on me several months ago. True to their word, Belkin kindly arranged a replacement under their lifetime warranty but said not to send the deceased one back to them (no LEDs were lighting at all, even though tests showed the power transformer was working correctly).

So, long story short is that I would like to open the case and see if there is any tinkering that can be done under the bonnet. This is just for my own interest and not to try and fleece Belkin.

The trouble is, the case is pretty firmly fixed to the base and although it is worthless in its current form, I am very reluctant to make any destructive changes to it (for now). I would even like to avoid cosmetic 'screwdriver' marks if possible.

Does anyone *know* of a method of opening these up without causing damage? I imagine there must be some kind of clip that snaps in place when they are manufactured.

Thanks for any advice group,

Martyn (not neo).

Reply to
<neo
Loading thread data ...

I dont know how long ago this was, but I can tell you though my experiences that BELKIN is VERY, VERY on the ball about requesting the defective unit back. They have two kinds of RMAS, Advanced Exchange and the Standard "You send in defective, we ship you replacement". If you gave are doing an Advanced replacement, you can bet that they are awiting that unit to be returned. Before they send out an advanced replacement they request your credit card number. If you have given them one, then I can assure you, after

30 days you will be charged the FULL Retail Online Value of that Router.

Not trying to be a "Mr Know it all", just dont want to see someone surprised.

Now, if they sent you a Router, and you have not Given them a Credit card or other Type of Collateral, I do not know what to say. But I have dealt with BELKIN from a Sales and from A End User Position, and I have NEVER seen them just send a piece of Equipment out and say "Hey keep the old one on us!" Also, inside the box of an Advanced Replacement, you do NOT find a Return Label or Anything along those lines. The cost of Shipping back is on the end user, and the instructions are Emailed to you at the time the RMA is created. After that, it is your responsibility to get it back to them.

At best, I would contact them and see what is up, becuase you may need a warranty replacement in the future and you'll come up as a client. with a hold on your acct possibly. Then it will be too late to return the Router and they will want full price for the Router. If you dont know your RMA, BELKIN uses your Phone Number as a reference point for most transactions. Do the right thing, call and straighten it out, and if they say " We dont want it, then it is all yours to tear apart".

Reply to
PDA Man

PDA Man,

Thanks for your concern however I can assure you - they sent me a written letter through the mail saying that in this case then they didn't require the original unit sent back and the very same day I received the new unit (actually, a 'better' one) through a private carrier.

This all happened about 6 months since and they have never been in touch about it. I bought the first unit through a PC shed (might have been PC World actually) and the original unit died within about 6months. I did ensure that I registered it with them after the purchase and passed on all original purchase details. I can only re-iterate, they have been true to their word (or better) than their lifetime warranty claim.

In fairness - I am not concerned about the 'return' unit at all. I did keep the original letter and the replacement has been registered as such via their website.

The post itself was more relating to taking the unit apart to see what was under the hood.

Thanks for your interest. The same question still applies - do you know a way of taking it apart non-destructively?

Cheers all,

Martyn.

Reply to
<neo

hath wroth:

Methinks it might help if you would kindly disclose the Belkin model number. All Belkins are not built the same.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

Of course - thank you.

The one in question is: Belkin wireless G router model number F5D7230-4 (version 4, UK)

The problem I was having with it before it gave up the ghost appeared to be heat related - it would simply drop connections and then the flashing LEDs became solid orange. Rebooting would usually clear the problem temporarily.

Putting a household electric fan over the case helped but never really stopped the problem (sometimes as frequently as 3-4 times per hour). Then eventually the whole thing stopped working - no LEDs lit at all, in spite of multiple re-boots. The supplied power adaptor was proved to work correctly.

Thanks for any advice as always.

Martyn.

Reply to
<neo

hath wroth:

I have on of these sitting in a box in my office. I'll give it a look and see how it comes apart when I recover from several days of house cleaning.

Meanwhile, see: |

formatting link
there's quite a bit of hacking that can be done with this box.

You might also try the FCC ID web pile if your UK serial number tag has the US FCC ID number. |

formatting link
I got lucky. The search worked (this time). |
formatting link
'K7SF5D7230-4'The "internal photo" page gives a really good picture of where you get to pry, twist, peel, and brutalize the snap together case. Looks like about 12 snap together hook and loop links. Try a paint knife or spatula. Note that there are a few hardware versions of this router and this may not be the correct photo of the board. However, the case should be the same in all versions.

Heat is the symptom, not the cause. Some component has blown up inside and is sucking lots of power. Eventually, the power supply complains and gives up. You might be lucky and it's only an electrolytic capacitor. The symptoms sound very much like a power supply shutdown from excessive load. When you get the case removed, the source of the overheating should be obvious. Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

formatting link
'K7SF5D7230-4'(...)

More:

formatting link
hid screws under the serial number label. Grrrr...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

That is excellent - thank you for all the time and advice.

All the best,

Martyn.

Reply to
<neo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.