Open System or Shared-key authentication

Hi all,

hope somebody knows what the difference is between the Open System authentication and Shared-Key authentication. I'm intersted in more detailed information and some argumentation why I should choice for Shared-Key or Open System.

I'm told (without any argumentation) that Open System is the best option.

Kind regards, J.

by the way: ofcourse I'm speaking about wireless networking with WPA-PSK using AES.

Reply to
Richie
Loading thread data ...

On 26 Jan 2005 13:34:56 -0800, Richie spoketh

WPA doesn't use open system or shared key authentication, so don't worry about it.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

WPA-PSK usess a 4 way handshake. The PSK becomes the Pairwise Master Key (PMK). The PMK is used along with the mac address of both the ap and the client to create a unique (Pairwise Transient Key) The PTK is used in the initial start of dynamicly generated encrytion keys. A sniffer can find out the Mac addresses and also he can capture the authentication and using offline dictionary attacks he may be able to crack the passphrase. This is why it is important to not use names in the dic, or your name or any other legible word. This has been the only thing that has been mentioned as a weakness in wpa-psk. So if you use a really wierd passphrase of 20 characters or so you ought to be very safe (for now). So I would say, open authentication lets anybody associate with the AP although they cant pass any data and havent a clue about what the PTK may be. PSK using common words are riskier than open.

Reply to
Airhead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.