One router - Two networks, Two SSIDs,Two channels

Is there a 3rd party software to configure a standard home router to act as a Wireless Access Point for two different networks and two different SSIDs?

Reply to
jeepers
Loading thread data ...

At the same time? How would that work?

Wouldn't the 'device' (router/AP) need two radios to do that?

And then (exactly) what would its function be?

Do you have some kind of existing commercial presumably expensive device to exemplify what you are talking about?

Reply to
Mike Easter

Apple AirPort Extreme has a feature called "guest networking" that may do what you want.

, about

2/3rds of the way down. Also

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Since you didn't specify a router it is impossible to say whether 3rd party firmware will work or not on your unknown router. There was a tutorial on wi-fiplanet that used DD-WRT to create "multiple SSID networks" this was from 2007. There is also this from DD-WRT:-

note from this that different broadcom based routers have different capabilities when trying to run multiple WANs.

Reply to
Bob

figure a standard home router to act as

s

I realise this is more costly than two consumer grade routers unless maybe on ebay but Cisco 870W range can do more than one SSID. Only one radio so both on the same channel. You most likely need the Advanced IP Services feature set IOS software.

Up to 4 perhaps? I only use two at the present.

ssids can be on different IP subnets.

The newer 880 will I guess be able to do this too as will any of the models that take the WIC card based Wireless modules.

Many of the cisco Access Points can house multiple radios. Normally 802.11a and 802.11g but perhaps two Gs can be used? This would allow two channels and most likely (I haven't checked) loads of ssids.

Reply to
bod43

give us the detailed scenario you are attempting to create, and then we may be able to help.....

Reply to
ps56k

If you can drop the 'two channels' requirement it's easy enough. If it has to be two channels then just using two APs would probably be cheaper.

Reply to
alexd

OK. Maybe 2 channels aren't needed but desired just the same to reduce congestion on each frequency. Still.... how would a single router be configured to handle 2 networks and 2 SSIDs on one channel?

alexd wrote:

Reply to
jeepers

Check out dd-wrt

formatting link
for an example of 3rd party firmware that provides that feature.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I've been unable to get it set up to work with anything more secure than WEP, which I personally consider useless.

Reply to
John Navas

I've been unable to get it set up to work with anything more secure than WEP, which I personally consider useless.

Reply to
John Navas

While it is a couple of years old did you try "rjmcinty's" setup?

Reply to
Bob

I'll post a Cisco config if you wish. It will take a few minutes to sanitise and organise for presentation so I wont do it unless someone asks.

It's a bit muddled as it stands so maybe this is the incentive needed to tidy it up:)

Reply to
bod43

Yep. And filed a bug that continues to languish.

Reply to
John Navas

Was it really necessary to post that twice?

Reply to
alexd

Was it really necessary to ask that question, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand?

Reply to
John Navas

just out of curiosity, i got two home routers on sale (under $50 each), set em up diferent (different ssid's channels and subnets, and change the starting ip address), and plug one into another (wan on the second to lan on the first)... wala, two unique ssid's, two different subnets and channels, and i have a backup if one dies

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.