One or two antennas?

We plan to replace the old Trendnet wireless router (type G) that links the upstairs and downstairs desktops with a new type N device. The old one has a single vertical antenna (like the Belkin G card upstairs.) Candidates include D-link (2 antennas) and Netgear (1 antenna.) Which is better?

Reply to
Don Phillipson
Loading thread data ...

I don't think number of antennas has anything to do with the question. And assuming you mean more range by "better", my Cradlepoint MBR-1000 has 3 antennas, and my old Linksys WRT54G has only two, and the range is farther with the Linksys. But there are factors other than range to consider in which router is "better".

Why are you replacing the type G router with a type N if you are using a type G card on the upstairs computer?

-- Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

The only consideration would be if the single antenna is detachable and if you may want to fit a directional antenna to concentrate transmissions down a tighter path.

This is a distinct advantage although it depends if reception is currently as good as you would like.

Reply to
me here

Old setup is no more than 80 per cent reliable, using Trendnet wireless G router downstairs -- wired to WinXP PC downstairs -- wired to ISP's wireless broadband modem; (no cable service here.) -- wireless to upstairs WinXP PC with Belkin wireless G card. Paradoxes:

1. The broadband wireless modem gets a better signal downstairs than upstairs. This was a surprise (because it looks through the treetops to a cell phone tower about 2 km. distant.)
  2. The in-house network fails 20 per cent of the time, i.e. upstairs PC fails to connect with Internet via broadband or Remote Control fails (configured both ways, to control upstairs PC from downstairs or vice versa). Connection speed (data transfer) varies hugely.

Recent prolonged failure of the network suggested circuitry of the (5 y.o.) Trendnet router was failing. I supposed I would get better connection with (1) new hardware, (2) type N rather than type G.

This makes sense, but I am doubtful if it is feasible here. The wirelessly connected house PCs are

-- basement south side

-- two floors above. north side, i.e. the signal runs diagonally through the house, about 50 ft. in a straight line distance, but through two floors of structure, furniture etc. and I do not know how these affect the signal.

I supposed the greater signal strength of wireless N would give me a more reliable connection, perhaps faster too. Is this not right?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You don't mention getting a new wireless N board for the upstairs computer, but you do realize that if you don't, you'll still be operating on wireless G even with the new router...

Mentioned by another... a directional receiving wireless device might just solve the problem. Of course, a better solution would be a cable to the upstairs.... but I realize you might not want to do that, for various reasons. Look into something like this:

formatting link
This is highly directional, so will take some time fidgeting with it to get the optimum alignment... It might just give you enough "boost" so that you don't need a new router at all. It would be nice if there were a store nearby that would take it back if it doesn't do the job.

-- Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

Don-

I can't say which router is better, but there is an advantage to having two antennas.

Some problems are caused by "multi-path" where a signal may travel by both direct and reflected (or a combination of reflected) paths. If two signals arrive out-of-phase, they can cancel. Having two antennas (diversity) reduces the effects of multi-path.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Only two antennas? This particular Netgear (WNHDE111) has 6:

"Netgear utilizes an array of six smart antennas in each device harnessed with adaptive, software-based beamforming."

formatting link
Adaptive software-based beamforming; se adaptive antenna arrays and mobile phones.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.