Old Question - Please NO-Lockup Wireless For Dormitory

Has been a few years - Maybe nearly 10 Hello to Jeff & couple of other good guys still here!

I am still using a single central WRT-54G early versions 2-4. Have tried several different units. Range is OK. Using DD-WRT Firmware but I still get wireless lockups daily. Typical 5-8 lightweight clients at 1 time and 20 clients max per day. Usually no torrents because I kick those when I see High Pings. Wired remains OK with maybe 2-5 clients. Wired is available all areas but netbooks and Ipods need wireles.

The $64,000 question is what MFG & Model # of APs or Routers configured as APs can I connect wired to the base router that will not lock up? Or what chipset works and I can find an AP using it? Don't need a lot of range so small AP with crappy antenna is OK.

3 APs spread over the area with same SSID, Low, Mid & High channel. B & G is fine! Is the newest (Ya I know old design) WRT-54G L version any good? I know these routers and DD-WRT pretty well - Many years use. QOS just does not work in these routers for me either except for rate limiting up/down to wired outputs does work. I could rate limit up/down from the wired ports to wireless APs. This reserves BW for Skype for the wired connections.

Thanks if anybody can help!

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.