OID for Linksys WAP54G?

Does anyone have any useful OIDs for the Linksys WAP54? I'm especially interesting in Client connections or authenticated clients or something to that effect...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen
Loading thread data ...

Good luck. Linksys uses a limited subset of SNMP to do configuration and setup. All that SNMP does is set some values and return a few results. No ANS.1, no vendor specific OID's, therefore, no MIB. If you walk the MIB tree, you'll see some of the ID information, followed by some glop that can be identified as settable values. I tried to reverse engineer a WAP11 and found a long binary OID that was all the status information on one line. I decoded some of it and suspect I could figure out the rest. However, I was looking for things like number of associations, signal strength, S/N ratio, and other useful stuff. They apparently weren't there, so I gave up. I also found that if I polled this OID repeatedly, the AP would eventually hang. If I find my notes, I'll pass it on.

Incidentally, the D-Link DWL-900AP+ has a similar SNMP misfeature with no MIB available.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:34:25 -0800, Jeff Liebermann spoketh

I figured that was going to be the answer :(

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me. "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Yep. What you probably want is an access point that supports the ieee802dot11 private MIB. None of the cheap AP's do that because of the processing horsepower required to grind the full ANS.1 tree plus the wireless/bridge private add-ons. Methinks the cheapest of the bunch that does real SNMP is the Netgear WG302:

formatting link
costs about $250. That quite a bit more than about $70 for the WAP54G.

If all you want is traffic analysis, that can be done at the router. If you want MAC layer stuff (retrans, connections, RSSI, S/N, etc) it has to be done in the access point (radio). There are scripts that invoke the web page configurations, extract the numbers, and return them in a form suitable for plotting. If the AP has a telnet interface, it's even easier to extract values.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Jeff: Contact me for a copy of the DWL-900AP+ MIB which covers the ..iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises branch, including the ..dlk80211bPlusDot11 (sic) branch which implements IEEE 802.11d Annex D.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.