Odd problem with belkin wireless router

Hi there, I've been having an odd problem with my belkin wireless router and was hoping someone might be able to help resolve it. Basically...

I have two laptops. Sometimes when I turn on one of the laptops, it connects to my wireless network no problem. However, a lot of the time the laptop returns a 'Limited or No Connectivity' message. But then, when I turn on the second laptop, this connects to the wireless network, which for some reason then enables the first laptop to connect too...! If I try using the 'Repair' feature on the first laptop without turning on the second laptop, it won't work; but after I've turned on the second laptop, both connect fine. I'm sure it's not a problem with the individual laptops themselves, as the problem occurs with both of them e.g. if I turn on Laptop A first sometimes it won't connect properly until I turn on Laptop B; and if I turn on Laptop B first, sometimes it won't connect properly until I turn on Laptop A!

I find it totally bizarre and have no idea why it's happening, so if anyone has any ideas I'm happy to give anything a try!!

As some background info: I use DHCP, with a Lease Time of Forever. I've tried changing the Lease to 1 hour, etc, but no difference. I use WPA-PSK authentication and TKIP encyption. If neither laptop can connect fully, I restart the router and then both can connect.

Thanks!!

Reply to
game4itguy
Loading thread data ...

Oops, sorry, the following will probably also be useful!

It's a Belkin G+ MIMO ADSL wireless router. Hardware version 1.0 Firmware 1.00.04

Any other info required, pls let me know.

Reply to
game4itguy

Couple Idea's: I Router Settings A. It is good practice to have the lease time be less than forever (8 days is usually a good default) unless it is a device that never turns off and needs to keep the same IP address (I.E. a network printer or a server) 1. Once you change that, clear all entries in the DHCP client table 2. Once you do that restart all your PC's that are connected to that router. (wireless and non wireless) **Note: This may not fix the issue but it will keep you away from future issues. 3. Try turning off all security settings => test => turn on minimal security => test => turn on more security => test... **Note: I have found that security settings have given me some of the oddest wireless issues, such as the ones you are currently having. **Note: be sure to re-enable them if this is not the issue 4. All else fails do a hard reset on router. (this will restore FACTORY DEFAULTS.)

II PC Settings

1. check your "network connections" (Start => Programs => Accessories => Communication) make sure that you do not have any "network bridges." If you do, delete them. (Unless you set them up or have a good reason to have them. However, if you don't know how they got there delete them.)

1. Make sure that internet connection sharing is not enabled on either PC. (again this is a long shot but hey its windows!)

Reply to
tlampen

I had the same weird probnlems and after a lot of searching I found some posts via Google. try searching for :local connection vista wireless DHCP etc etc etc. If I find some posts I will report them here.

For now the advice would be: DISABLE DHCP!!!

well meant greetings,

Henro

Reply to
Henrootje

PS: This goes for Vista! Forgot to mention that, sorry....

check this group if u use Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

greetings, earthling

oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Reply to
Henrootje

Reply to
Henrootje

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.