Novice question on Laptop security

I bought a new laptop for my wife, and I set up 'Internet Connection Sharing' between this laptop and my Win98SE desktop PC, the desktop being connected to the internet by an ADSL modem.

Although this new laptop is fitted with wifi, we are not actually using the wifi at all, but just use a network cable between the two machines.

Q: Is it possible that somebody can remotely access the laptop, and maybe also the desktop, even though we are not using the wifi ourselves?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Terry

Reply to
Terry
Loading thread data ...

As long as you keep the radio turned off you should be OK. On your laptop there should be a button or slide switch that turns the radio off.

Reply to
Christian

YES. However, unless you are an intended target, practicing safe computing and internet surfing will greatly reduce the chances. If you haven't already done so, it is recommended that you purchase either a hardware or software firewall. Routers will do the firewalling for you. Also, install and use both an anti-virus and anti-spyware applications. I have known many customers who have those programs installed and when they get a virus and/or adware program, they find it difficult to understand how they could have gotten. Well, they never used them. Anyway, don't open email attachments from people you don't know. Better yet, don't even view email from people you don't know. As for the ones you do know, check each message and its attachment for viruses, etcetera. Beware of file sharing sites. There are countless other tidbits, but these should suffice. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

go buy yourself the typical wifi router you'll have additional security all around then you wont need ICS plus you and the wife can kick back and surf on the patio, in bed, or where ever nearby on battery.

Reply to
bumtracks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.